PDA

View Full Version : Remote desktop into Fedora machine

troyw3412
27th April 2006, 02:37 PM
I am brand-new to the Linux world. Having installed Fedora 5 on a "test" machine over the weekend, I'm getting ready to make the switch from WindowsXP to FC5 on my main computer, ditching Windows on my daily computer.

The only issue is that I still have WindowsXP on my work computer/laptop and will occasionally need access to my home computer (running FC5).

Is there a way I can get remote access to my home computer from a Windows machine?

I've used VNC for Windows and am not entirely too impressed with it. Honestly, if there's something similar to the performance of Windows' Remote Desktop application, it would be ideal.

Thanks for helping this newbie get started!

pparks1
27th April 2006, 02:48 PM
For home networks where security isn't the #1 concern, i usually use VNCServer on the Linux machine with the TightVNC client on Windows. In my experience, this is just as fast as RDP into the Windows machine.

For more secure applications, I tend to use NXserver on the Linux machine. This funnels everything through SSH to keep things secure, but it slows down performance pretty signficantly from the above. But when you need security, an extra few seconds is well worth it.

RedFedora
27th April 2006, 02:49 PM
I think in KDE there is a remote desktop tool under "Internet" applications. This
should give you a head start. For FTP and shell access on your Fedora box,
you can use ssh. The ssh server (sshd) is fairly easy to setup on Fedora
and "putty" is a good Windows client for this job.

wdgiles
27th April 2006, 03:29 PM
from windows: http://www.realvnc.com for the remote desktop viewing client,
also for windows: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
the package name in kde is "kdenetwork" for the vnc client there.

Set up your firewall to allow access for the inbound ssh connection
Configure putty to tunnel the connections
Also, enable compression on the ssh connection in putty, this increases the speed of the link somewhat and makes it faster to use.

I run this exact type of connection all the time to three different FC5 boxes from windows and macintosh based clients. I have also set up a batch file that automates saving the putty settings and transferring them between different machines I use at work. Let me know if you have any questions.