PDA

View Full Version : How to burn bootable DVD from ISO?

Palmz
27th April 2006, 05:12 AM
I downloaded FC5 DVD ISO from the web, and used daemon-tool to mount the ISO to a virtual DVD drive. Then, I just copied the content of the ISO to a DVD+R disk, using software, maybe DLA, coming with my Dell laptop. But I cannot boot my laptop from the disk I created using the method above.

Can someone tell me why or howto?

egr
27th April 2006, 05:20 AM
I see that you're using windows, almost every burning software should be able to burn ISO images to the CD/DVD, most popular is Nero, I think. If you have a cd/dvd burner you have a burning software with it, check the software manual on howto burn iso images

Tico
27th April 2006, 06:09 AM
I see that you're using windows, almost every burning software should be able to burn ISO images to the CD/DVD, most popular is Nero, I think. If you have a cd/dvd burner you have a burning software with it, check the software manual on howto burn iso images
The last time I used Windows for this I used something called "isorecord" which was a special application for making iso recordings for Windows. It is a free program and it worked OK for making bootable discs to install linux on an OS-less PC.

Demz
27th April 2006, 06:52 AM
I downloaded FC5 DVD ISO from the web, and used daemon-tool to mount the ISO to a virtual DVD drive. Then, I just copied the content of the ISO to a DVD+R disk, using software, maybe DLA, coming with my Dell laptop. But I cannot boot my laptop from the disk I created using the method above.

should be burnt to a DvD-R not +R
.k3b should do iso's

markkuk
27th April 2006, 08:50 AM
should be burnt to a DvD-R not +R
Doesn't make any difference, +R, -R, +RW and -RW will work. I don't know about DVD-RAM.

markkuk
27th April 2006, 08:52 AM
Then, I just copied the content of the ISO to a DVD+R disk, using software, maybe DLA, coming with my Dell laptop. But I cannot boot my laptop from the disk I created using the method above.

Copying the files doesn't copy the boot information which is stored in the first blocks of the disc outside of the filesystem. You must burn the disc directly from the ISO image.

RyanGRA
27th April 2006, 01:46 PM

You might need to set your computer to boot from the DVD drive in your BIOS.

Palmz
27th April 2006, 11:57 PM
Copying the files doesn't copy the boot information which is stored in the first blocks of the disc outside of the filesystem. You must burn the disc directly from the ISO image.

I think this might be the where the problem comes from!

Triangle
14th November 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi,

You might wish to try ISO-burner tool. This is a small utility that is extremely easy to use yet reliable and free. That might be of use for you
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm