PDA

View Full Version : Some help

Deltadeltafee
27th April 2006, 03:08 AM
I have to put

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
somewhere to give me the ablitly to mount cds again, where do you guys think it needs to go?

tashirosgt
27th April 2006, 04:15 AM
Where did you get the directions from? It looks to me like what you are supposed to do is run a command that modifies the file /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield. Check the syntax of the command carefully.
I think
leaves the file /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield empty.
echo 0 > &/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
leaves the file with a '0' in it.
echo 0 >> /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
adds a '0' to the end of whatever lines are in the file.

Deltadeltafee
27th April 2006, 04:37 AM
Where did you get the directions from? It looks to me like what you are supposed to do is run a command that modifies the file /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield. Check the syntax of the command carefully.
I think
leaves the file /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield empty.
echo 0 > &/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
leaves the file with a '0' in it.
echo 0 >> /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
adds a '0' to the end of whatever lines are in the file.

I got this command from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=431335
if your not too busy, I was wondering if you can look at sort of tell me step by step what they want me to do. because I am not really sure what they mean, I am very new to fedora core. thanks.

Jman
27th April 2006, 06:55 AM
/proc doesn't write to files though, it provides access to mostly kernel stuff.

If you want the command to execute on boot run
echo "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield" >> /etc/rc.local as described here: http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#startonboot

ccrvic
27th April 2006, 09:06 AM
I have to put

somewhere to give me the ablitly to mount cds again

Ewwww. Are you sure about that? What you're doing is to enable buffer-overflow attacks. I'd be *very* surprised if mount needs to execute its own stack to work...

What problems are you having with mounting CDs?

where do you guys think it needs to go?

In the bin, actually...

Vic.

tashirosgt
27th April 2006, 03:10 PM
Deltadeltafee,
Perhaps the first thing we should establish is whether you are familar with using the command line. The most convenient way to do that is to bring up a terminal and type commands in it. I'm not sitting at a FC5 machine now, but I think to open a terminal in FC5 you pick Applications, Accessories, Terminal.

Deltadeltafee
27th April 2006, 05:33 PM
The only reason I am asking, is because I am trying to get Cedega to work, and all I need to do is get copy protection to pass.
And the only way to do that is throuh

gedit /etc/fstab

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom-hdd auto exec,defaults 0 1
and I am talking to some guys on linuxquestions.org and they are saying to do

so I can get myself to mount drives again.

Deltadeltafee
27th April 2006, 06:10 PM
the only problem is when I do

I can't mount. anything.

tashirosgt
27th April 2006, 06:11 PM
You didn't say whether your are familiar with the command line. You can't "do" the echo 0 > .... etc. from gedit. You have to open a terminal and type it in at the command line. After you open the terminal, you probably must be the "root" user to have permission to do this. So before you type the echo command, become "root" by doing
su -
or
su -l root
(Note there is a space after "su" before the dash.)

Deltadeltafee
27th April 2006, 06:15 PM
oh so I can't do it through gedit, okay so I type

echo "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield" >> /etc/rc.local
I am sorta of use to command line, but I am not sure how to type it to get it to work.

ccrvic
27th April 2006, 06:30 PM
so I type
echo "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield" >> /etc/rc.local

I still think this is a mistake.

Exec-shield is about keeping your data space separate from your programme space. Your problem is caused by a faulty line in /etc/fstab.

Vic.

Deltadeltafee
28th April 2006, 04:37 AM
how do I correct this faulty error line in /etc/fstab
I know the problem line is in

however, I am not sure how to make it correct. can you guys tell me how to do this, so I don't have to do

echo "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield" >> /etc/rc.local???

ccrvic
28th April 2006, 10:28 AM
how do I correct this faulty error line in /etc/fstab

Stick a CD in the drive. type "ls /media" to see if udev creates a mount point for it.

If it does, either comment out the line in fstab entirely (see if the whole automount thing is still unbroken), or change the mount point specified to the one that actually exists.

Or you could do away with udev and just mount it somewhere in /mnt. You'll need to "mkdir /mnt/cd" first.

man mount will give you all the answers.

Quite why you keep insisting on turning off exec-shield is beyond me. It's not related.

It would be like trying to fix the squealing brakes on your car by removing all the door locks...

Vic.