PDA

View Full Version : AMD X2 Instability issues?

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 02:21 AM
Hi, I've have been using fedora core 4 up until the last week or so, but I'm not very familiar as of yet with the enitre OS.

I just upgraded to core 5, and I seem to have an inordinate amount of issues with the stability of the OS. It freezes unrecoverably during regular operation (updates, email, websurfing, etc...) there is no obvious pattern that I can discern.

Mostly, I am wondering if they built in support for multi-processor platforms into the recent builds of core 5. If it isn't there yet, I might as well move on back to core 4. I searched the documentation and they all just commented on 64bit compatibilty.

Thanks

marko
27th April 2006, 02:24 AM
I've had FC4 and FC5 smp on my X2 3800, it's working fine
I'm currently using 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp

Mark

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 03:58 AM
I think part of my problem is it doesn't seem to want to install an smp version, is there any explicit way to get that done?

(I have noticed on boot something that appears when loading up the kernel, I don't recall the exact phrasing, but here's the general one:

Powerboot k8 - MP support not enalbed on PHB Bios. (this is displayed twice, I'll double check the message tomorrow and post the full version))

Thanks

Firewing1
27th April 2006, 04:01 AM
I believe it's
yum install kernel-smp
Firewing1

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 04:02 AM
Thanks man

Firewing1
27th April 2006, 04:05 AM
FYI - Are you in 64bit Fedora? That could be the cause of your issues and not the X2. I've seen many people with the X2 around here (I do pay attension to those signature-specs! :p) and they've been having no such problems.
Firewing1

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 04:41 AM
Yeh, I am using the x86_64, the installer didn't install any _smp kernels though... I'm going to try that yum command again; it froze the first time ~.~

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 04:44 AM
Nothing found for kernel-smp.

Also, the kernel boot properly reads

Powernow-k8: MP systems are not supported by PSB (structure/architecture, something like that :p )

I shall search around for an smp kernel install, hopefully I can find it ;)

Seve
27th April 2006, 06:33 AM

Powernow-k8: MP systems are not supported by PSB (structure/architecture, something like that :p )

The smp kernel for 64 bit is not denoted with the same naming convention as the i386 [aka-smp]
I think it was mentioned somewhere, but I don't recall where. If you have a look at your System/Aministration/System Monitor you will see that the 64bit kernel is recognizing both CPU's even though the kernel you are using is not labelled as SMP. This is not the case with the the 32 bit kernels. If you use a non-smp kernel only one CPU wil be active. To use both CPUs you must install the i386smp kernel.

Is this not referencing something in your BIOS where a setting is not set to Cool-n-Quiet or a power saving thing.

Seve

marko
27th April 2006, 10:19 AM

I had similar messages related to not being able to get powernow
to work right on my X2. After I flashed the bios to a newer version
for my motherboard the problem went away and powernow worked.

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 02:44 PM
The system monitor reads both cores.
I guess I shall update the BIOS, see if that works, and if it doesn't, I'll probably just move back to FC4 which seemed to be more stable on this platform. *shrug*, I suppose I could try tracing through code and so forth (and logs) to find where it starts hanging itself, but I'm not an uber-programmer ;).

Thanks for the help guys.

marko
27th April 2006, 07:56 PM
Viashimo: when I said I was using 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp, that was the
32 bit version. BTW, when you said FC4 was more stable on that, was
that smp 64 bit on FC4 or which one? I guess you don't want to use the
FC5 32bit SMP kernel?

Mark

Viashimo
27th April 2006, 08:01 PM
FC4 was more stable on the x86_64smp kernel

Firewing1
27th April 2006, 09:33 PM
I'd try 32bit - 64bit still has many bugs and is a little unstable - I know bob changed back to 32bit because of this, too when installing FC5.
Firewing1

Viashimo
28th April 2006, 02:05 AM
I guess it seems the problem isn't obvious enough to have a simple solution.

It seems that the best solution is to find a more stable setup. One of my friend's just installed FC% x86_64 on his machine (which is somewhat similar in terms of hardware), and he has had no stability issues; clearly indicating the problem is more subtle than I can figure out easily ;).

I shall see if I can get a 32bit SMP kernel on here without reformating again, see if that works better for me.

Viashimo
28th April 2006, 05:46 AM
I had a sudden flash of insight awhile back, after it froze in the middle of something.
- I have been overclocking my system for some time now. It occured to me that while that overclock setting was stable in windows, it might not be stable in FC5 (for whatever reasons).

So I reset back to defaults, since then I have not had a problem - so perhaps that was what was causing these system hangs.

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 09:38 PM
That will do it - Sometime RAM is tempermental and will bug out (as you saw with the segfaults and memory errors) when overclocking... Try putting the CPU up, not the RAM and little bits at a time and maybe it will work. (I'm a newb at overclocking, I've read on it but never really done it. Is that possible, to increase FSB / multiplier w/out changing the RAM speed?)
Firewing1

Viashimo
29th April 2006, 02:34 PM
Yeh, I didn't bump the RAM speeds at all, I'm pretty much a n00b @ overclocking myself!

Whenever I bumped the RAM speed I kept forgetting to match is with something (0.66 of FSB, or whatever it is, I don't really recall... it's too early in the morning ;) ). So when I say overclock what I mean is: I maxed my multiplier and upped the core speed. I incrementally tested changes in the core frequency and tried increases in core voltage when necessary to maintain load stability. So, the RAM wasn't touched, but I also moved the CPU to the threshold of what I could do.

I once default my BIOS settings and for whatever reason, my CPU was reset to 3GHz (Athlon 64 X2 4400+, ain't meant to go there). ... it also seems that for whatever reason, upon the reset of the settings I did to undo my overclocking... the core speed has gone to ... 2.596GHz, a good 400MHz above the factory default ;) ... and overclocking is turned off!!! Wicked :D

Firewing1
29th April 2006, 03:10 PM
Wow! 3GHz? That's really high! (I hope you didn't blow anything...)
Actually, reverse thinking - Maybe that was the problem - Increasing the front side bus (FSB) so much so everything (PCI, PCI-E, etc) went much faster but the RAM didn't, causing problems? Any 'OC'ing experts here?
Firewing1

Viashimo
30th April 2006, 08:19 AM
my computer still works ;)