PDA

View Full Version : dam you reiserfs -- i regret my decision

steve941
27th April 2006, 01:21 AM
I reformatted with reiserfs (3), lost some data in the process, ... but ignoring that ..
im dissapointed
now i havn't been using it that long, but so far it doesn't reach my expectations.
It seems to boot up a bit faster, or im just trying to look for somethign to make it seem faster. ...
but its not
of course ill test a bit more cus i really don't feal like reformatting again right now, but so far ive noticed copying and creatin new files is not as fast ..
ex something like
dd count=102400 if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/tempfile
transfered at 36 MB /s
where on ext3, the same command was getting
51 MB /s
So anyone considering reiserfs .. don't, go with ext3

pete_1967
27th April 2006, 01:53 AM
Different filesystems suit best for different uses.

ReiserFS is generally faster than Ext2/3, especially if you have lot of small files, also its journaling system is better and disk usage more efficient.

Ext3 is middle-of-the-road filesystem, not shining in anything particular, but not a slacker either.

On mail and database servers, XFS and JFS generally perform better than either Ext or Reiser.

Reiser4 then again is almost complete redesign with features such as extensibility via plugins, fully atomic filesystems transactions and efficient storage of small files.

ReiserFS may not suit for you, but don't make a generalisation that it is not suitable for anyone, or that it is worse than another filesystem.

pparks1
27th April 2006, 02:21 AM
My recommendation is unless you have a very good reason to do so, stick with the default filesystem that Fedora installs. It's still EXT3 for a reason.

Omega Blue
27th April 2006, 03:44 AM
ext3 is rock solid and is good for most purposes. Once upon a time I took charge of a box running SuSE Professional 10 using reiserfs. I had all sorts of problems with sytem recovery after a power failure (or accidental reset). Eventually the filesystem got corrupted quite badly so I switched to FC2. Never had a problem since then.

steve941
27th April 2006, 05:01 AM
yeah well ive been usin ext3 for almost a year now, and i was like ok i'll just give reiser a shot and see what its like
its for me .. yes i discovered why the default is ext3. I just wanted to do my own mini experiments and trials. of course i'll do the same when reiser4 is finally released.
allready ran into some fsck problems with reiser, but ill give it some more time before i switch back to ext3