PDA

View Full Version : Big problem... help please....

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 03:31 PM
Hi...
I just installed fedora 5 jst now...
before i install it, i made a partition out of my existing partition.
originally, i have 3 partitions on my comp, after making another partition for fedora, i have 4..
now, here is what the problem is...
after finish installing fedora, when i went back to windows xp, one of my partition went missing.. well, if that is where the fedora 5 is then its fine with me coz when i try to boot into fedora, it works fine... but that is not the only thing that happens... i am now unable to access my other partition... when i try to access it, it say that the partition is not formatted and ask me if i want to format it..
definitely not.. all my important files are in there....

can anybody help me..? those files are irreplaceable...

Quella
25th April 2006, 03:41 PM
What do you get when you do an 'fdisk -l' from the linux terminal/command window?

Also what do you get when you enter fdisk and ask it to 'print' the partition table?

Can you dump the data from these here?

Quella

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 03:44 PM
ok.. updated information...
i just went to "disk management" under "administrative tools" in control panel (windows xp).. i can see that the partition is still there.. in fact, i can see all 4 partitions in there..

Refering to the picture in the attachment, the partition that has all my important files is "D - 37.26GB". for some reason, it is binded with the unnamed partition (which i think is where fedora is) .. and i think that is why i can't access partition D.

can anybody please advise me on what to do..?

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 03:47 PM
What do you get when you do an 'fdisk -l' from the linux terminal/command window?

Also what do you get when you enter fdisk and ask it to 'print' the partition table?

Can you dump the data from these here?

Quella
well.. i just installed fedora so i dunno anything about fedora.. don't even know how to connect to internet with it..
is there any windows commands similar to what u said..?

Quella
25th April 2006, 03:49 PM
Quick fix would be to delete the one between them and move the 'D' next to the 'C' partition. Then re-create and install Fedora after these two existing partitions.

Quella

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 03:51 PM
what do u mean by deleting the one between them..?
is it deleting either D or the unnamed one..?
is it possible to move or seperate the partition without deleting the partitions..?

Quella
25th April 2006, 03:55 PM
So the 6.84g partition is the one you installed linux on? I'm not sure how in Windows you can list your partitions out in the order they are in. It looks like you have a c: d: and E: all seen by the system. Is that not the case?

Quella

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 04:01 PM
well.. here is how i partitioned the hard disk, first, i create D from C, then, from existing D partition, I created E.. after that, I installed alcohol 120% and that means that i have i cd drive "F" and one virtual cd drive "G". Just now I created another partition from E and before i installed linux, the new partition was called "H".. but the thing i don't understand is why or how did H binded together with D and not E..?

wandering_shygu
25th April 2006, 04:38 PM
for some reason, i have already deletes the linux partition but still cannot access the D partition...
:(

tashirosgt
25th April 2006, 04:48 PM
I don't know what program you are using to add and delete partitions, but if you fear losing data, you should not do any adding and deleting until you figure out what is going on. If you need a Windows way of figuring out things, you will probably have better luck on a Windows forum. If you are willing to use Linux, the advice about using fdisk -l is the best place to start. Someone can tell you how to do this from the rescueCd if you need more details.