PDA

View Full Version : setting resolution on my ibook

unixstudent
25th April 2006, 05:44 AM
My install of FC5 from DVD went nice and easy. I was wondering if someone could point me to a terminal command that can set my resolution to 1024x768. Do I need to log in as root to do this? Does sudo work the same as in OSX?

I am going to wait a bit for Airport Extreme to work, as I have tried the hack on ubuntu and kubuntu with no success. I at least got my ethernet card to work in Fedora. I will plug directly into my imac for now and sort of connect wirelessly...

Is there a place to see what kernel I am running. Some of the Airport discussion mentions certain builds to work on the problem.Doing some file browsing I think I have 2.6.15-1.2054. If I can keep up on which one I have, then eventually the Airport problem will be fixed in a new build.

unixstudent
25th April 2006, 05:54 AM
I also thought I had sound set up on my ibook G4, but it doesn't detect it now...

khb
26th April 2006, 05:18 AM
Do you mind sharing how you installed FC5 from DVD? I've tried to install to an external FW HD attached to a G5 iMac, and the installer freezes soon after loading the kernel. I think the installer can be run in text-only mode, but the choices I need to make seem daunting. I'm a newbie. Did you run the graphic installer or the text mode? Is there up-to-date FC5/PPC instruction available online anywhere? Thanks.

pokpig
26th April 2006, 05:58 AM
To check the kernel version;

in a terminal, type:

uname -a

To change the resolution, you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf; but some programs help you out:
resolution and display, both in menu, should be easy to find.

unixstudent
27th April 2006, 04:20 AM
Do you mind sharing how you installed FC5 from DVD? I've tried to install to an external FW HD attached to a G5 iMac, and the installer freezes soon after loading the kernel. I think the installer can be run in text-only mode, but the choices I need to make seem daunting. I'm a newbie. Did you run the graphic installer or the text mode? Is there up-to-date FC5/PPC instruction available online anywhere? Thanks.

I used the graphical install. I just selected a root and swap partition, and installed. I am a newbie too, but have had luck with install a few different linux distros on my ibook. I would guess that your problem is with where you are installing it. Better to post this question to some of the experts on the forum! Good luck.