PDA

View Full Version : kernel update and drbd and heartbeat

dp7885
22nd April 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi, need a little help. This is probably something really easy but I'm not real familiar with kernel modules.

I was running kernel - 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 and I had drbd and heartbeat loaded and working from an RPM from ATRPMS and Fedora Extras resp., so I had the primary half of my HA cluster running.

So the nightly YUM update happens and I get kernel 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5. "Cool!", I say to myself, so I reboot... OOOPs, now the kernel can't find the drbd driver and my disk won't mount up. Heartbeat tries, but since drbd isn't there, it gives up. "Hmmm", I say to myself, "that's not good", So, just for giggles I reboot the old kernel. Sure enough, heartbeat and drbd come right up and viola, the primary side of the cluster starts working. So, I scratch my head and go looking for where the drbd driver is, and I find it at /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080_FC5/updates/drivers/block/drbd.ko... with no corresponding files at /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5/updates.

So I copy the older drivers/block/drbd.ko the the new directory tree and reboot... same thing, kernel can't find the driver and my disk won't mount since lsmod no longer shows the drbd module.

What did I miss? (A yum -update drbd gives me the ol' "nothing to do' message.)

(Oh, by the waw this is x86_64 on an AMD Opteron, not that I think that's the issue.)

Thanks ahead of time.
-dp-

galatei
22nd April 2006, 07:51 PM
I've had similiar problem with NVIDIA drivers.
Just uninstall these old kernel modules, download 2096 specific, and install over the new kernel.

Regards

Update: In case that the new precompiled modules for FC5 are not available, just download its sources and compile them.

dp7885
6th May 2006, 05:31 PM
ok, well i can't figure out how to rebuild from the ATRPMS repository so i went to drbd,org got the tarball from there, followed the instructions and now i get a "Invalid module format" anybody know what this is about?

by the way the invalid module format happens after a "modprobe drbd"