PDA

View Full Version : Ssssssstuttering

Daniel114
21st April 2006, 02:40 PM
hi,

i can't understand what teh hell has happened to my FC5 recently but I'm pretty sick of it now. In short the system stutters, i.e. takes hours to open files, the mouse movement becomes becomes unstable etc.

I havent installed applications really since initial install (other than ofcourse yum update, using teh second 2.16 kernel now). I searched the forums but only found yum clean all that im not sure is what I want, basically I want something to flush out all the crap that might be causing this, im quite skeptical about the yum update system coming from a windows background, as it seems to update the products as appose to removing and reinstalling with a fresher one... based on my limited knowledge ofcourse, I could be amazingly wrong

So anyone familiar with this problem? Its making using fedora incredibly frustrating

Al3xanR0
21st April 2006, 03:30 PM
hi,

i can't understand what teh hell has happened to my FC5 recently but I'm pretty sick of it now. In short the system stutters, i.e. takes hours to open files, the mouse movement becomes becomes unstable etc.

I havent installed applications really since initial install (other than ofcourse yum update, using teh second 2.16 kernel now). I searched the forums but only found yum clean all that im not sure is what I want, basically I want something to flush out all the crap that might be causing this, im quite skeptical about the yum update system coming from a windows background, as it seems to update the products as appose to removing and reinstalling with a fresher one... based on my limited knowledge ofcourse, I could be amazingly wrong

So anyone familiar with this problem? Its making using fedora incredibly frustrating

Although you can configure FC to automatically update (upgrade) packages, I would stick upgrading individual packages as necessary until you are more familiar with "cause and effect" of those actions.
By the way "yum update" is not responsible for upgrading packages to the lates release, it updates the repository lists so that you have a clear view of what packages you have available. for maore information on how to use yum type

yum --help

or
man yum

It also helps to include specific details, errors, etc..

VictorienSardou
21st April 2006, 03:43 PM
are you connected to a network, or have you stopped using a network?
have you installed any new hardware into the system recently USB as well as PCI?
how much disk space do you have free? [# df -H]
is there a DVD or CD in the DVD/CD player?
is it a desktop or laptop and what model is it and what is the graphics card?

Daniel114
21st April 2006, 04:04 PM
hi there,

connected to a network, as was in install and have ben forever, amen
No new hardware installed, graphics card drivers installed but was fine after initial install
loads of disk space about 10 gig
Unplugged dvd player/cd and another harddrive because of previous problems (freezing)
desktop pc
p4 3gig, hyperthreading
256mb ati radeon x800 gto
1 gig corsair ddr2 (or 3 ram cant remmember)

i know its not perfromance based... interstingly I tried running quake 4 demo and an error message was was noted regarding having a 64mb gcard, although I havn't seen it since

Stuttering is most prominient during yum update and after using the terminal

VictorienSardou
21st April 2006, 09:32 PM
it could the graphics card... are you running in multihead?
alternatively, try editing out either or both 'use DRI' and 'use GLX' from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
are you using the ati xserver or the ATI prop drivers from a repo or ATI website?

Daniel114
22nd April 2006, 12:45 AM
not sure what multihead is, I dont think I am..

xorg...

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "fglrx"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 5d4f"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

got drivers from livnia, finally and they worked

VictorienSardou
22nd April 2006, 02:46 PM
great.
multihead means more than one monitor connected to the video card.