PDA

View Full Version : auto update for tetex/latex

pliu18
21st April 2006, 10:23 AM
hi there

i am a new migrant to linux. it appears that i got most things up and running and i have enjoyed learning very much so far. just got a simple question for you experts out there. i want to know is there a way to set my kile editor to automatically download or update the required packages from the web or a cd. i have used latex in windows before, when even i use a package that is not there, it will ask me where to look for it. at the moment, i am trying to compile my tex documents and tetex seem to complain it can't find all these packages, i don't know where and how to get them installed.

please help.

Seve
21st April 2006, 10:06 PM
Hello:
Install Yumex if you haven't already [yum install yumex] and then you can use Yumex to search or browse the repositories for all the related packages that you are looking for.
hth
Seve

Jman
21st April 2006, 10:36 PM
The FAQ has this and more: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

pliu18
28th April 2006, 02:46 PM
hi guys,

i tried installing yumex, it worked fine. however, i still can't figure out how it can solve my auto TeX update problem, some more guidance would be much appreciated.

ilja
28th April 2006, 02:55 PM
I don't think, that what you want will fit into the fedora philosophy of updating packages.
The way of the package as I undestand it:
-developed by tetex-developer
-tested by tetex-beta-tester
-marked as stable by tetex-developer
now the package mantainer of fedora sees it:
-tested by fedora-package-mantainer
-packed into rpm by fedora package mantainer
-put into the development tree by fedora package mantainer
-tested by fedora-test-users
if errors:
-corrected by fedora developer or reported to tetex-developer
if no more errors or bugs found:
-marked as stable by fedora package mantainer and released to the stable tree

Now you can do an update with
yum update
you can do even an automated update with crontab, but if the package is not avalaible, it doesn't make any sense.

It takes time. In fedora is not as much as in debian, but you can count with at least one month, and it gives you a great chance of a stable system...

Are there any particular bugs, you would like to get rid of, or is it just to have the newest system?

p.s. for now I think a
yum install tetex-*
will be allright....