2)
On BIOS setting
ACPI 2.0 support [Disabled]
ACPI APIC support [Disabled]

Warning at starting booting
Booting the kernel
MP-BIOS bug 8254 time out connected to IO-APIC

However PC still booted.

Please advise what are they? How to fix this problem?

TIA

B.R.
sastimis

c_ryan
21st April 2006, 10:42 AM
What hardware (exact motherboard model, processor etc. plz) are you running on?
The powernow failure is (I think) just stopping your processor shifting to a lower frequency when it's not in heavy use.

satimis
21st April 2006, 02:33 PM
Hi c_ryan,

What hardware (exact motherboard model, processor etc. plz) are you running on?
Motherboard - ASUS A8N-VM with onboard LAN and Sound
CPU - AMD Athlon 64, 3000+ socket 939
Cosair DDR 400 RAM Twin (512M x 2) - 1024M
Seagate SATA II hard drive, 80G 7,200 rpm 8M cache
Sony DVD writer DRU-820A
Sony CD Rom

This AMD64 box got lot of problems on running FC5_64. Apart from the problem of the onboard LAN and Sound because of the nVidia chipset, I think X-window shares the cause of PC hanging. Without disabling onboard LAN and sound the PC hangs immediately on connecting broadband.

Disabling onboard LAN and Sound Internet connection is able via a PCI NIC. How long can Internet be browsed without PC hanging depends on luck.

I tried several times to run "yum update" on KDE without success with PC hung in the middle. Finally I succeeded running "yum update" on "init 3". Although there were some problems I got the PC updated downloading 198 packages of 555M size and updating 394 files.

After "yum update" completed and login KDE desktop, following warning popup on starting Firefox the first time;
Firefox could not install this item because "install.rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does-not exists. Please contact the author about this problem.

Firefox started disregarding the warning which only appeared once.

During the mouse pointer hanging without response, pressing "Num Lock" can switch on/off the LED light. It signified that the PC did not freeze. However pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F4/F2 has no response and the PC hung thereafter, pressing "Num Lock" having no response, LED off permanent.

B.R.
satimis

c_ryan
21st April 2006, 04:04 PM
Does it boot ok (apart from the powernow warning) and remain stable with the ACPI and APIC options on? I wouldn't worry about install.idf - I get that once after each firefox update through yum.

satimis
21st April 2006, 05:23 PM
Hi c_ryan,

Does it boot ok (apart from the powernow warning) and remain stable with the ACPI and APIC options on? Yes, no problem.

I wouldn't worry about install.idf - I get that once after each firefox update through yum.I don't know whether it is the cause for mouse pointer hanging.

If without adding "HWCursor" "off" on /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

The mouse pointer disappear on KDE desktop but visible on Gnome desktop.

If adding

"Option "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

The mouse pointer will hang frequently on KDE desktop. However pressing [Num Lock] switching the LED on/off that indicates PC is not hanging. I don't know how to solve this problem.

B.R.
satimis