PDA

View Full Version : kernel sources missing during nVidia driver installation

g0l3m
20th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Hello there,

When installing the new nVidia driver, it complains that the kernel sources are missing and tell me to look for kernel-source type packages...

I've had a look at pirut and the only thing I can see that could be of relevance is the kernel-devel package and I have that installed...

Any ideas what's going wrong? nVidia said I can pass the kernel sources path if different to the default but I've no idea where the sources live. Am I missing something?

cheers,
g.

Seve
20th April 2006, 09:34 PM
Hello there,

When installing the new nVidia driver, it complains that the kernel sources are missing and tell me to look for kernel-source type packages...

I've had a look at pirut and the only thing I can see that could be of relevance is the kernel-devel package and I have that installed...

Any ideas what's going wrong? nVidia said I can pass the kernel sources path if different to the default but I've no idea where the sources live. Am I missing something?

cheers,
g.
Hello:
Open a terminal and at the prompt type uname -r enter to confirm the kernel that you are actually running.
Then type rpm -aq | grep kernel enter and look for the matching kernel-devel

If you are using FC5 and are stilling using the release kernel, then you will need to update your kernel first, as I think (some can please correct me if otherwise) there was an issue with the release kernel and the Nvidia source drivers.
The alternative [which is easier] is to follow the guide here: http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia
hth

Seve