PDA

View Full Version : Wrong font display on FC4

ericb
20th April 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed FC4 and I noticed an annoying problem with one of the fonts I'm using. The font is the DejaVu font, freely available here (http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).
I work on many platforms and never had a problem with it. It renders correctly on all the platforms I know, including Windows, Sun Solaris and other Linux distros. I was quite surprised to see it doesn't render well at all on FC4; see here (http://pragmadev.free.fr/support/tttest.html). The 4 screenshots are screenshots of the exact same program. As you can see, the problem is not only with the font rendering, but also with the general aspect of the font: on FC4, it appears quite narrower than on the other platforms. I tried various tricks found on various forums (mainly involving hacking /etc/fonts/local.conf), but nothing worked: the font still looks very bad.
Does anybody have the same kind of problem? Is there a solution?
Thanks a lot in advance.
- eric -

ericb
20th April 2006, 10:01 AM
I just forgot to mention: the font is managed at the X server level. So I've a directory containing the ttf file with a fonts.dir file containg only:
-------------------------
DejaVuSansMono-Roman.ttf -misc-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-------------------------

Then I do a:
xset +fp directory

ericb
24th April 2006, 01:24 PM
Can anybody please test the following script and tell me what happens? This is a tcl script (tcl should be installed by default on FC4).

---------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env wish

tk scaling 1
font create f -family "dejavu sans mono" -size 20
puts [font actual f]
puts [font measure f "0"]

label .lb -text "0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTUVWXYZ" -font f
pack .lb
---------------------------------

What is the output of the script? And what does it display?

Thanks a lot in advance.

pigpen
31st July 2006, 01:58 PM
Hello, I've just installed DejaVu on FC5 like this:
[root@pc12345 ~]# yum --enablerepo=extras install dejavu-fonts dejavu-fonts-experimental dejavu-fonts-makedefaultand then ran your script which yields:
[pigpen@pc12345 ~]$ ./bla.tcl
-family fixed -size 20 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0
10plus the attached Tk output.
Mind the gap ;)