PDA

View Full Version : Firefox no text anywhere



Nathan.a.s
20th April 2006, 03:24 AM
Well in my quest to find the best music manager / player (that also plays wma) I added several repositories to yum. After trying to update gstreamer using the gstreamer repo, firefox comes up with no text on the window and in the window. This is annoying since I have memorized most of the shortcut keys for firefox and I have to use epiphany. Has anyone heard of this??
I have already tried uninstalling firefox and reinstalling to no avail.
N E help would be appreciated, thanx in advance.

Firewing1
20th April 2006, 04:05 AM
Is ATRPMS or NRPMS one of those repos by any chance? I've had similar luck to yours when using those. (Same thing; I had no text anywhere... What repos did you add + what did you upgrade / install?)
Firewing1

Nathan.a.s
21st April 2006, 05:26 AM
I had everything updated and then added the one for gstreamer and updated. Firefox was bad after that.

Firewing1
21st April 2006, 05:35 AM
I don't think the gstreamer repo caused that, esp. since I'm using it too withough any problems... Have you tried removing you Firefox user directory?

rm -drf ~/.mozilla/firefox
WARNING: That will erase all preferences, history, maybe local extensions, plugins, and bookmarks. Basically, you're left with a fresh install. If you'd like to back it up just to make sure, then do this instead:

cp -a ~/.mozilla/firefox ~
rm -drf ~/.mozilla/firefox
A backup copy is now held in ~/firefox.
Firewing1

Seve
21st April 2006, 06:25 AM
I had everything updated and then added the one for gstreamer and updated. Firefox was bad after that.
Hello:
You may want to ceate an new profile .....it usually helps
See the instructions here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new
hth
Seve

Nathan.a.s
26th April 2006, 06:36 AM
(Gecko:2838): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_key_file_add_group: assertion `g_key_file_lookup_group_node (key_file, group_name) == NULL' failed

(Gecko:2838): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_cairo_show_glyph_string: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT (font)' failed

(Gecko:2838): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_cairo_show_glyph_string: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT (font)' failed

this is the error I get when I do ./firefox -profilemanager

Nathan.a.s
26th April 2006, 07:40 AM
Oh yeah and I also tried to delete the profile but it didnt work either

Nathan.a.s
26th April 2006, 08:01 AM
I tried to uncomment MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 in /usr/bin/firefox as recomended on another forum but that doesnt work either.

Nathan.a.s
29th April 2006, 09:08 AM
Anyone know anything about this error, is my glibs hosed because of a repo?
Should I force reinstall of glibs for an older version?

Seve
29th April 2006, 10:58 AM
Anyone know anything about this error, is my glibs hosed because of a repo?
Should I force reinstall of glibs for an older version?
Wouldn't go that far yet.
Try open a terminal and log in as root, then # yum remove firefox
Then logout as user and login using the GUI as root, look in your /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1 and maybe 1.5.0.2 etc. if you have it and delete any firefox folders that you find, root wil place them in it's Trash bin, don't empty the trash. While in root go to your /home/user/ directory and look for .mozilla and delete the firefox folder, leave .mozilla there.
Once done logout and login in as user and open a terminal as root and do a # yum install firefox and hopefully you will be off to a fresh start. Or, instead of using yum, you could opt to boot from your FC5 disc and do and upgrade and chances are the only thing that it will touch is firefox, which it will install. However, it may also replace some things that may have gone missing....I'm not 100% sure.
If it was mine I would try the yum first and if it works then great. If not then do all the same things again and do the upgrade from the FC5 disc.
hth
Seve

Seve

Nathan.a.s
14th June 2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I moved so I lost internet for a while.. I ended up reformatting and upgrading to fedora core 5. I think part of the problem was my hard drive cable being bad, since it is an ata133 drive on ata100 with 80 wire round cables and I did hdparm -Tt recieved 3MBps. So I swapped cables and did a wipe, reformat, install... around 40MBps. Didn't get the chance to try what you are suggesting so far firefox hasnt given me any issuses so I think something got hosed in those slow as heck transfer rates. I found that Galeon runs a little quicker though so I have been using that. Thanx for the support.