PDA

View Full Version : How to get files back from unmounted floppy

therapeias
20th April 2006, 02:24 AM
I'm in a total bind and need your help. I had just finished a web site and wanted to copy the files to a floppy so as to move them to the production system.

I'm pretty new to Fedora, so I assumed that if I inserted a floppy it would mount just like a CD. I selected the various folders in the html directory and dragged them to the floppy image. Unfortunately instead of copying them, I moved them. So now I don't have a copy on the hard drive.

When I try to open the floppy it says the it can't be mounted (I used an "IBM" formatted 1.44 diskette).

When I look at the properties of the floppy it shows 144 items that take up 3.5mb of space (I didn't realize I had this much stuff in the directory).

However, I can't figure out how to find them on the file system. Since these are my only copies (yeah ... I know I'm stupid) I'm pretty desperate. I'm hoping that they are in some sort of limbo from which they can be retreived.

I'm running FC4 on a Dell 400SC with 1gb of RAM. I primarily use the Gnome desktop,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Wayne
20th April 2006, 02:37 AM
Did you unmount the floppy before you removed it? Look under:

/media/

and see if you have:

/media/floppy

Wayne

therapeias
20th April 2006, 02:41 AM
There they are!!! Thank you so much.

Bill

Wayne
20th April 2006, 02:49 AM
Glad you got them back, wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes :-)

May I suggest a cheap USB flash memory stick, more portable, holds much more than a floppy and easier to move things to machines that don't have a floppy drive!

Wayne

Wayne
20th April 2006, 03:02 AM
I also meant to add that when I'm dealing with removable media I usually (if I remember) use the middle (wheel) button on my mouse. That gives a menu of action choices and (hopefully) I don't mess up :-)

Wayne

therapeias
20th April 2006, 04:51 AM
I've got one and intend to use it. Thanks again.