PDA

View Full Version : this dog don't hunt... (beagle)

dishawjp
20th April 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi All,

I'm running FC5, more or less quite happily, but am thinking that maybe I got me a dog what needs to be shot.

Besides FC5, I also use SUSE10 and have been using beagle for a while with SUSE and have gotten to really like it. At least of sort of. And I can call it from the command line in SUSE with the command "beagle." More or less like the Lord intended us country boys to do and without the need to holler real loud or do a whole lot of swearing or mouse clicking (which generally leads to swearing in these here environs). But now with FC5, the darned dog don't listen to me at all!

Look at this stuff:

[dishawjp@eunix ~]$ beagle
bash: beagle: command not found
[dishawjp@eunix ~]$

Hmmm, so I'm a thinking maybe that dog only comes when the boss calls him. But get a load of this!

[root@eunix ~]# beagle
-bash: beagle: command not found
[root@eunix ~]#

So I'm figuring my darned dog got itself lost and I went a looking for it:

[dishawjp@eunix ~]$ rpm -q beagle
beagle-0.2.3-4
[dishawjp@eunix ~]$ which beagle
/usr/bin/which: no beagle in (/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/dishawjp/bin)
[dishawjp@eunix ~]$

So it looks like I still got me a dog, but it ain't answering me. So I try:

[dishawjp@eunix ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@eunix ~]# chkconfig --list | grep beagle
[root@eunix ~]#

Well heck, I thought... well nevermind about my thoughts and dogs and servicing and all... so I tried this one:

[root@eunix ~]# ps aux | grep beagle
dishawjp 2388 0.4 6.4 74540 33268 pts/2 Sl 19:37 0:05 beagled --debug /usr/lib/beagle/BeagleDaemon.exe --bg
dishawjp 2408 1.9 6.2 65460 32416 pts/2 Sl 19:38 0:21 beagled-helper --debug /usr/lib/beagle/IndexHelper.exe
root 3438 0.0 0.1 3920 672 pts/2 R+ 19:56 0:00 grep beagle
[root@eunix ~]#

So it looks like I still do got me a dog! He just don't wanna come when he's a called!

So folks, give a poor old country boy a helping hand and see if you can help me to get this dog to hunt.

All kidding aside, how do I start beagle. In SUSE, I can call it from the command line (beagle) I get this little GUI thing and can define my search from there. If I'm in a virtual terminal with no Xwindows, I can still use it from the command line. It (beagle) is one of the handier things that's been added to Linux recently and I would like to have full use of it in FC5. But how do I call it?

TIA for any help,

Jim

psyklops
20th April 2006, 02:44 AM
try beagle-status, or beagle-ping
what comes up?

u-noneinc-s
20th April 2006, 03:50 AM
I have never used beagle, but I just did what you did, and got no response so I did #beagled, then I could "connect" to
beagle as per psyklops suggestion.
mark@spongie =>beagle-ping
Daemon version: 0.2.4

and
mark@spongie =>beagle-status
(can't copy and paste results because it is "busy working". Doing what I don't exactly know, but it seems to be updating).
ie: scheduler count 397 waiting for next task
count 460 waiting for next task etc.
Guess I'll let it run ans see what goes. Maybe I'll find a use for it

Wayne
20th April 2006, 03:54 AM
I have an entry in:

Desktop menu > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs

for:

/usr/bin/beagled

Saves messing around starting it up when I want to do a search.

Wayne

Firewing1
20th April 2006, 04:09 AM
[user@DellLin ~]$ rpm -ql beagle | grep bin
/usr/bin/beagle-config
/usr/bin/beagle-exercise-file-system
/usr/bin/beagle-extract-content
/usr/bin/beagle-imlogviewer
/usr/bin/beagle-index-info
/usr/bin/beagle-index-url
/usr/bin/beagle-info
/usr/bin/beagle-ping
/usr/bin/beagle-query
/usr/bin/beagle-search
/usr/bin/beagle-settings
/usr/bin/beagle-shutdown
/usr/bin/beagle-status
/usr/bin/beagled
/usr/sbin/beagle-build-index
/usr/sbin/beagle-manage-index
[user@DellLin ~]$
Those are your commands. Perhaps "beagle" was synlinked to "beagle-query" or "beagle-search" in SUSE?
Firewing1

u-noneinc-s
20th April 2006, 04:40 AM
Well, I let it run while I went and ate dinner. When I came back to it, it was still running and the system was barely
responsive. Took better than a minute to change vertual desktops, and another minute to get back to cont+C out of beagled.
Even after a Cont+C, I had near 0 response. I waited almost 10 min then did a cont alt del and a couple more minutes for the
logout screen to finally appear. I think it's a safe bet I wont be using beagle. :P
Is it not kde compatible?

Dunhausen
20th April 2006, 05:59 AM
Haven't used it in KDE, but did you update your packages?

There was a memory leak in the version that came with FC5--that's why the daemon was turned off by default.

I think I remember beagle being quite an insufferable resource hog when it first started indexing, so either an update fixed it or it simply plays nice once you get everything indexed and have the daemon perpetually running. (I believe the 2.6 kernel is such so that after everything is indexed beagle can just monitor what files get written--it doensn't need to keep traversing the harddrive).

u-noneinc-s
20th April 2006, 06:09 AM
Actually, I upgraded from fc3-5 and didn't get beagle so I yum installed it. I would hope I got the latest. At any rate, I already
yum removed it along with all it's dependencies. I may try it again later, but probably not in the near future.

Thanks

Firewing1
20th April 2006, 09:38 PM
Actually, I upgraded from fc3-5 and didn't get beagle so I yum installed it. I would hope I got the latest. At any rate, I already
yum removed it along with all it's dependencies. I may try it again later, but probably not in the near future.
Thanks
Just a little sidetrack -- I'd highly recommend backing up your data & doing a fresh install... I've been using Beagle all the way through with no problems, so it was probebly caused by the fc3 > 5 upgrade. These installs work, but usually cause problems when you start digging.
Firewing1

u-noneinc-s
21st April 2006, 12:11 AM
Just a little sidetrack -- I'd highly recommend backing up your data & doing a fresh install... I've been using Beagle all the way through with no problems, so it was probebly caused by the fc3 > 5 upgrade. These installs work, but usually cause problems when you start digging.
Firewing1

Thanks for the advice. It is ALWAY welcome and appreciated (from all by the way), And I'm concidering blowing
away my XPeePee partition for a "complete" backup.
I was planning on a fresh install and dumping Doze in the first place, but when the time came I figured I'd try the
upgrade instead. I was very surprised that it worked with minimal problems.

Seeing as we are "off topic" back to beagle. I "more or less" know what it is, but what can it do that slocate (or now mlocate) and whereis and find and all those other search tools can't do? In other words, What's the
benefit of using beagle?

Firewing1
21st April 2006, 12:27 AM
It can search for patterns (mind you, s/mlocate + grep does a nice job of that...), and in the contents of certain files...
Firewing1

Dunhausen
21st April 2006, 01:18 AM
From personal experience:
*s/locate isn't very useful for recently downloaded/installed files or when you are moving things around the drive (unless you update the database first)
*beagle indexes media metadata, the contents of textfiles, pdfs, word documents, mail, chat logs...
*it also indexes your firefox cache, which I have found invaluable (as someone who never bookmarks the pages that he should)
*the index is realtime

u-noneinc-s
21st April 2006, 01:31 AM
These are definately good features in beagle, especially the contents/text search. I checked the beagle logs (which were
left after removing beagle) and it seems I had 2 instances of beagled running. So maybe I should give it another try.

I had no intention of hijacking this thread and my origionl reply was to suggest that dishawjp run beagled first, but we have
not heard from him.

dishawjp
21st April 2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks All for your responses. I use beagle in SUSE and really like it, and don't see any performance penalty. But if it's still a problem in Fedora, maybe I'll hold off for a bit.

Thanks again!

Jim

SHtRO
26th April 2006, 12:23 AM
u-noneinc-s (above) experienced the classic problem of running a daemon while the daemon was running. Beagle SHOULD be conscious of this, but is not apparently. I think "u-noneinc-s" really wanted beagle-query or something...

u-noneinc-s
26th April 2006, 12:27 AM
Thanks SHtRO, I'll keep beagle-query in mind next time I try it. There have been other threads since this one that still
suggest that beagle is a memory hog in Fedora, so I will wait a wihle but I'm sure I'll try it again.

sej7278
26th April 2006, 09:03 AM
I have an entry in:

Desktop menu > Preferences > More Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs

for:

/usr/bin/beagled

Saves messing around starting it up when I want to do a search.

Wayne

how come beagled is not listed in the "Services" program, that's what I want to know, is there not an /etc/init.d script?

and when you open the Search menu entry and select "start at boot" or whatever it doesn't actually start at boot (i get "service not started" every time i try to search)?

sej7278
26th April 2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks SHtRO, I'll keep beagle-query in mind next time I try it. There have been other threads since this one that still
suggest that beagle is a memory hog in Fedora, so I will wait a wihle but I'm sure I'll try it again.

not sure about a memory hog, but it sure seems to eat a lot of cpu - highest usage after vmware on my p4 ghz ht