PDA

View Full Version : winxp on external enclosure

foxmuldar
19th April 2006, 10:33 PM
I have 3 HD's the first has winxp, the second has Fedora Core 5, the third is an external enclosure HD. I want to put winxp on the external enclosure to use only when someone ask for help on windows, otherwise i want to turn it off, and boot to a linux only box. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for the help...
foxmuldar,

Mtnear
20th April 2006, 09:01 PM
Can anyone answer this one? I'm interested to know if it can be accomplished as well.

Seve
20th April 2006, 10:39 PM
I have 3 HD's the first has winxp, the second has Fedora Core 5, the third is an external enclosure HD. I want to put winxp on the external enclosure to use only when someone ask for help on windows, otherwise i want to turn it off, and boot to a linux only box. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for the help...
foxmuldar,
Hello:
I had something like this quite a while ago on different hardware....so please forgive me in advance if this does not work for you (As I am going from memory only)
Does your BIOS allow you to select a USB device to boot from? if so then then you need to determine where your grub is installed? Likely it is on the existing Internal Windows drive????? So, the first step is to boot from the Windows Install disc into R mode and when you get to the C prompt type fixmbr ...to make sure that there won't be any issues with the Windows boot processs when you go to the next step. Then pull the Windows HD out of your PC and put it in your HD enclosure and connect it to your PC via USB, I am guessing at USB, as it doesn't say in your post?
Reboot and change your BIOS to boot from your USB device/drive and see what happens? It shoud work if you are able to boot from a USB device in your BIOS. If you want to physically move your Windows installation from an internal drive to the external HD enclosure without changing the actual Hard Drives i.e. swapping the two, you will need something like Norton Ghost to do it as it will end-up confusing Windows and it will almost certainly not work.

You will then need to boot from the FC5 disc into linux resuce mode and re-install grub to enable FC5 to boot properly.

Hopefully this works for you as there are so many variables related to motherboards, BIOS's etc.

hth
Seve