PDA

View Full Version : Managing diskless clients

ovkolsi
19th April 2006, 08:59 PM
I've built my first diskless client using FC5 with help of system-config-netboot. Client mounts root and snapshot directories from the server using NFS. Root is mounted as a read-only and snapshot as a read-write.

Problems begin when I need to manage packages with yum. Because of the read-only root, it's almost impossible to install / update packages. What I've done is that I've added files and directories one by one (e.g. under /etc/) to snapshot read-write mount using "files.custom" configuration file.

This method hardly is the optimal one.. so what is the best and easiest way to manage packages with diskless clients?

Would it be possible to somehow mount root as read-write? It sounds that this would solve the problems, or would it?

Another solution would be to use chroot in the server side and manage packages there. But if I'm right, that's not very good method either.

vulture99
23rd July 2006, 11:24 PM
I would like to see an answer to this question. I am setting up a diskless client using system-config-netboot. I'm installing FC5 on a temporary disk, then copying the installation to an NFS share on the main server. I have concerns about how to update the installation using yum. I've searched Google but haven't found any tips on how to do it. Thanks.