PDA

View Full Version : How do I install PlaneShift?

Nived
19th April 2006, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to install the game PlaneShift on FC5. I downloaded a .bin file. Can someone please explain to me how to install this. I'm new to Linux and Fedora so I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks.

egr
19th April 2006, 10:05 PM
run terminal, change permissions for file so you can execute it some thing like "chmod 777 PlaneShift.bin" and run file "./PlaneShift.bin", if you want to install it system-wide, login as root first with "su", however you can run installer from nautilus if you dont like terminal:
Right Click -> Properties -> Permissions, select execute, close window and dobbleclick on file, if it asks something choose "Run"

Nived
19th April 2006, 10:32 PM
I gave the file permission, but when I double click it it does nothing.

egr
19th April 2006, 10:38 PM
Alright try to run it from terminal
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
use "cd " command to navigate to folder where PlaneShift file is
(example "cd /home/user/Desktop")
to run file (if you've changed permissions already) just type

./filename
where filename is the name of your file

Nived
19th April 2006, 10:44 PM
ok I do that and i still get absolutly nothing.......not even give an error message. it just skips down to the next line in the terminal

Nived
19th April 2006, 10:48 PM
If I type 'su' and then my root password and then try it I get "No such file or directory'

egr
19th April 2006, 11:58 PM
here are some commands to navigate in console:
ls - list files in current folder
cd - change directory
pwd - prints path to current directory

try to navigate with it and find folder where Planeshift installator
this page may help http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/

Nived
20th April 2006, 05:37 AM
I still can't get it. Is there anyone that plays PlaneShift?

a lemming
10th August 2009, 01:39 AM
While this is a few years late, I thought I'd post it anyway for any future visitors with the same question.

You can install PlaneShift by using the following guide:
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=31776.0

note: If you get a "Segmentation Fault" when you use the command ./PlaneShift-v0.4.03-x86.bin, amend --mode text to the command so that it looks like this: ./PlaneShift-v0.4.03-x86.bin --no text
That should get rid of the segmentation fault, and will run you through the same installation but with a text interface.