PDA

View Full Version : themes in general, and in amarok in gnome

prairielily
19th April 2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find help on this particular issue. I'm using the amaroK audio player (pretty great little program) which I am running in gnome. I downloaded a skin for it from kde-look.org but I don't have a clue how to install it.

I tried downloading themes from gnome-look.org for other things like icons etc. and tried installing them via the Themes manager, tried dragging the link to Themes, tried dragging the tar.gz, and then the extracted folder, to Themes, all no go - I am told the file is invalid. From previous posts I see this means the theme is incompatible - why is this, and how would I know for a future theme??

So if I want to install this amarok theme, can someone please tell me will it be compatible and if so how do I do it?

macarpen
20th April 2006, 12:05 AM
In amaroK go to Settings->Configure amaroK->Appearance. You will see 'Install New Style' at the bottom. You can also download new styles from the GUI and have them installed automatically.

As for Gnome themes, you can install themes manually by extracting them to the proper directories in your home directory. Extract icons to ~/.icons and window border/controls (i.e. metacity and GTK2.x) to ~/.themes. You should then be able to select them from gnome-theme-manager.

prairielily
20th April 2006, 04:31 AM
In amaroK go to Settings->Configure amaroK->Appearance. You will see 'Install New Style' at the bottom. You can also download new styles from the GUI and have them installed automatically.

As for Gnome themes, you can install themes manually by extracting them to the proper directories in your home directory. Extract icons to ~/.icons and window border/controls (i.e. metacity and GTK2.x) to ~/.themes. You should then be able to select them from gnome-theme-manager.

Thx for that, but my issue w. amarok was that I had been doing that and it didn't change anything except for the background behind where it shows the cd - I wanted to change the look of the menubars etc. Maybe just bc it's in gnome?? Oh well if that's the only gripe I've got w. it then then I'll live with it, the app works wonderfully.

Re: icons etc for gnome - tried that approach and computer told me home/*/.icons already exists (invisible file? I sure can't see it! No other styles saved there) So anyway I tried one more time to drag the tar.gz file to the theme manager - and for whatever reason it worked perfectly. Did the exact same action several times before and it didn't work, now it does, I don't get it.

I have been having various issues w. displays though - for instance, I had a big long list of screensavers at one point. I had installed all the kde screensavers and a few optional packages. Now when I go to screensavers there are only six. I don't know where they went - I certainly didn't uninstall them, and the add/remove programs thing tells me I have them all. Thoughts on that?

I should mention I may just be missing something here, I've had FC5 on my computer less than a week (new to linux)

macarpen
20th April 2006, 06:48 AM
The theme of amaroK (or any app which uses Qt) is determined by your KDE theme. This is analogous to all your GTK2 apps styled based on your Gnome theme. If you have KDE installed you can simply log in using KDE and change your style using the theme manager. I'm sure there is a way to change your Qt style without having KDE installed, but being a Gnome/GTK guy I couldn't tell you.

As for the ~/.icons and ~/.themes, these are hidden files (as are all "dot" files in Linux) except they are directories. If you do an ls -l ~/.themes you should see all of the Gnome themes you were able to install through the GUI. Not sure why it wasn't working before, but glad you got it to work.

What was the package name of the screensavers you installed. I'm guessing you probably installed some xscreensaver packages. FC5 uses gnome-screensaver by default.

Glad you decided to try Linux and FC in particular. The learning curve can be very steep at first, but I think you'll find it is very rewarding. :)

prairielily
20th April 2006, 11:56 PM
The theme of amaroK (or any app which uses Qt) is determined by your KDE theme. This is analogous to all your GTK2 apps styled based on your Gnome theme. If you have KDE installed you can simply log in using KDE and change your style using the theme manager. I'm sure there is a way to change your Qt style without having KDE installed, but being a Gnome/GTK guy I couldn't tell you.

As for the ~/.icons and ~/.themes, these are hidden files (as are all "dot" files in Linux) except they are directories. If you do an ls -l ~/.themes you should see all of the Gnome themes you were able to install through the GUI. Not sure why it wasn't working before, but glad you got it to work.

What was the package name of the screensavers you installed. I'm guessing you probably installed some xscreensaver packages. FC5 uses gnome-screensaver by default.

Glad you decided to try Linux and FC in particular. The learning curve can be very steep at first, but I think you'll find it is very rewarding. :)

I was really glad to get this - of course it would be something so simple! Your patience with Silly Newbie Questions is much appreciated - the fact that this great forum is available is one of the main reasons I did pick fedora. A steep learning curve is actually a good thing (not a whole lot of fun otherwise). :p

So am I reading right that I will have six screensavers forevermore? Or is there a way to make gnome use kde (or xscreensavers)? Regarding amarok - I went and logged into kde, and I'm afraid I've screwed it up completely. I set the kde theme to something I liked, and then logged into gnome again. Now the entire application is enormous - it looks like I reset the resolution much lower in the screen (except I never touched that). Everything else looks normal. I can't use any of the configuration menus in amarok, because they are so large they go off the bottom of the screen and I can't seem to move them or resize them so they will fit, so I can change things but I can't click the 'apply' button, and hitting return doesn't seem to work either. So I uninstalled kde, including amarok, and then reinstalled amarok - same, no change, still huge. I went back to kde and tried to change things - it's the same there too. What on earth did I do?? :eek:

Edit: after going back into kde and resetting absolutely everything to defaults, display parameters (for everything) appear to have recovered. Learned to not muck with stuff too much. Thanks for all your help!

THE Ralfinator
26th June 2006, 06:26 PM
same thing happened to me after playing around with the kde themes. Seems everything became supersized! Not sure what happened.