PDA

View Full Version : ati video cards

eugen_r2
19th April 2006, 05:31 PM
:confused: It seems there's no way to make the GUI start properly on my FC5. The screen simply goes black when the login prompt must show and the computer freezes. I think the driver for Ati is to blame.

Are there other Fedora users with Ati Radeon video cards ? Did they encounter the same problem ?

P.S.

The same thing happens to me on FC4.

gnomicGhost
19th April 2006, 07:16 PM
I had trouble with my ati (Radeon 9550) too after I installed the drivers. The desktop loaded, but I couldn't access the menus (apps/Places/System) and the windows didn't have border on them. Just blank windows with normal items inside. (i.e. Trash/Computer/etc)
I was doing a trial install anyway, to find bugs with FC5 and my system, so I reformatted and didn't install the drivers after that.

Doesn't help you I don't suppose, but yeah I think there is something wrong with the ATI drivers. I did read somewhere about an smp and non-smp kernel choice of drivers. Did you install the right one for you system?

eugen_r2
19th April 2006, 08:02 PM
My kernel is the one that comes with Fedora5. Anyway, I installed other drivers - from livna.org but the problem persists. Fedora 4 too behaves similarly.
After disabling some services, the system returns from the black screen to a command line with an error:
Could not open default font fixed