PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Connect to Server"

jrmontg
19th April 2006, 04:03 PM
I used Places > Connect to Server > Service type SSH to connect to a remote server. Does anyone know how to do this with the command line? I want to mount it to somewhere else besides the desktop.
Thanks
Jeff

giulix
19th April 2006, 04:30 PM
What do you mean by "mount it somewhere else besides the desktop" ? Anyway, the command line counterpart is called ssh

jrmontg
19th April 2006, 04:48 PM
so what?
mount ssh /remote/drive /local/drive?

giulix
19th April 2006, 05:08 PM
No, wait... you use ssh to open a terminal session to connect to a remote host, not to remotely mount resources. For that, you can use ftp, nfs or samba depending on your needs and the type of different operating systems you want to interface to.

jrmontg
19th April 2006, 06:03 PM
Then how does Places > Connect to Server > Service type SSH work. FYI I am on FC5

giulix
19th April 2006, 06:46 PM
yea, me too... well, that is just a hub for quick connection supporting multiple protocols, I guess. If you need something more stable, you have to use the proper tool. For the specific case of ssh, it allows you to open a secure connection to a remote host. Let us know what you need, and we may be able to help you :)

jrmontg
20th April 2006, 01:04 AM
I am just trying to mount a remote drive of one linux server to my /mnt folder. I can't use nfs.

linux4kix
20th April 2006, 01:14 AM
the connect to sfuse-sshfserver option creates a virtual filesystem using gnome-vfs. Only apps that use the gnome-vfs library can access it and copy files back and forth. If you want to actually mount an ssh filesystem that any userspace application can use, you will need to install fuse-sshfs from fedora-extras.

jrmontg
20th April 2006, 07:04 PM
Perfect
sshfs 10.10.18.99:/var/www/html/ /mnt/website
bam connected.
Thanks linux4kix and thanks for the replies giulix