PDA

View Full Version : My computer sounds like

gotvols
19th April 2006, 04:03 AM
When I run a linux operating system on my computer it sounds like it's going to die. When I run microsoft windows it's quiet and smooth. I like linux better, but this noise is getting on my nerves. I've got a 1.4 ghz athlon processor with 256mb of ram. If that helps. Any help would be appreciated.

bob
19th April 2006, 05:09 AM
You don't mention the make of the computer or where the 'sound' is coming from. There are some motherboards and laptops that have variable fan speeds that only have drivers for Windows. Maybe you can give some more details and we can help you.

gotvols
19th April 2006, 10:12 AM
it has a kk266 plus v2.0 iwill motherboard. the bios is 35104a. Hope that helps. The computer was put together for me. The sound like it's going from the middle of the computer.

bob
19th April 2006, 12:54 PM
It sure sounds like the processor fan is running full blast. I checked the IWILL site http://www.iwill.net/product_legacy2.asp?na=KK266Plus&SID=32&MID=26&Value=37 and in your BIOS there are settings to modulate the processor fan speed (manual, page 45). Use them cautiously, if you do, because you can risk overheating. I didn't see any linux capable drivers listed. Another option would be to change your heat sink and fan for a quiet running one. They are not very expensive but with a larger heat sink and a larger fan, it can rotate at a much slower speed, thereby much quieter.

gotvols
20th April 2006, 12:15 AM
Will it hurt my computer to run like it is now?

bob
20th April 2006, 05:18 AM
Not really - it's just running at maximum cooling speed. It will be more annoying to you than anything else. I'd just put a monitor (plenty available - I'm using one through superkaramba) on your cpu to make sure you're operating at proper temperatures. I've mentioned it before, but styrofoam is an excellent noise damper and can be placed inside a cabinet (not interupting air flow) to keep things more quiet.