PDA

View Full Version : Is Fedora Suitable for dialup users

jodef
19th April 2006, 03:55 AM
When last I was here I asked the above question the answer was no because of the size of updates is this still the case?

ihavenoname
19th April 2006, 04:25 AM
yes the updates are fairly large, however if you have a friend with broadband & FC they could get the updates for u and burn them every few months. Alternativly if the default setup works for you, or if all you need are several packages other then whats on the main cds or just updates to fix some of whats on those cds then you really wont need to update EVERYTHING you could just update a few packages at a time, But to be honest it is not FC thing only its pretty much common place throught most linux distros that the updates are fairly large, except for MAY Arch Linux (archlinux.org) hm, did I miss anything?

Badut
19th April 2006, 05:27 AM
I too am on dial-up at home. I think it's possible to keep FC up to date with the "critical" updates. I've given up trying to keep every single package up to date though. The latest update for OpenOffice, for example, was 82M just for the core. It ain't gonna happen on dial-up ;)

I think updates will just keep getting larger too. With dial-up users becoming a minority, I dont think there will be too much done about it either.

pparks1
19th April 2006, 05:34 AM
Since Linux in general is almost always a work in process, there are always going to be a signficant number of updates regardless of the distribution that you run.

Best suggestion I have : do as SMALL of a load as you can possible do. If you don't need an application like OpenOffice, don't install it. This will significantly help with the number of updates

Second suggestion: since bandwidth is limited and you aren't always connected to the network (so not likely running any server services), don't run yum update. Simply run yum update packagename and only update the things that you really need versus everything that is possible to update.

Third suggestion: Any chance you can ditch the dialup and get a broadband connection? In the long run you might find that you use the Internet for a lot more when you have more bandwidth....might help to justify the cost differential.

Fourth suggestion: Run a distro like CentOS which has fewer updates and packages.....as it is designed for servers and focuses primarily on stability and security. Therefore, fewer updates, etc.

robatino
19th April 2006, 09:01 AM
I too am on dial-up at home. I think it's possible to keep FC up to date with the "critical" updates. I've given up trying to keep every single package up to date though. The latest update for OpenOffice, for example, was 82M just for the core. It ain't gonna happen on dial-up ;)

My father is on dialup and he updates everything except OpenOffice. One problem is that ntpd doesn't play nice with a connection that isn't always on, so instead we create an executable file /etc/ppp/ip-up.local with the line

/usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -s clock.redhat.com

which sets the clock when going online. BTW, since yum can resume downloads (unlike up2date), it's actually possible to keep OpenOffice updated on dialup, if you have a few hours of online time to kill.

ihavenoname
19th April 2006, 09:09 PM
hmm yea instead of Open Office I would suggest Abiword (sp?). There are plenty of programs out there that are fairly light weight. Also you might want to look into debian..you can get the entire repo on cds. It has a farly long life cycle so you wont need to get the cds very often. You wont be as bleeding edge and Debian might be a bit more difficult then Fedora. (I am talking of the ACTUAL Debian not Ubuntu or Mepis or anything like that) I definitaly think thou that Linux Distros should be careful to cater to the needs of dial-up users because in the developing countries where linux still has a chance to gain control of the market (so to speak) most of the ppl are on dial-up.