PDA

View Full Version : How do I update Firefox to 1.5.0.2?

thayerw
18th April 2006, 11:49 PM
I noticed this week that a new version of Firefox was released. I would like to upgrade the default installation that comes with FC5, but it doesn't offer an "Upgrade" option from within the browser.

I downloaded the tarball, which is setup to install the browser to the "firefox" folder, however I see that my existing Firefox (the one that came preinstalled with FC5) is installed in /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1

Are we supposed to dump the files into the ill-version-named firefox folder that exists, or create a new one? Is there anything I need to run in order for the system to recognize it as the default browser? Am I in way over my head here? LOL...

Thanks for any advice you can offer... I'm still fairly new to Linux, but trying to find my way the best I can on my own.

Wayne
18th April 2006, 11:59 PM
If you run the 'Software Updater' program in your 'System Tools' menu entry you'll find there is the Firefox update as one of the upgrades.

Wayne

jcliburn
19th April 2006, 03:43 PM
I noticed this week that a new version of Firefox was released. I would like to upgrade the default installation that comes with FC5, but it doesn't offer an "Upgrade" option from within the browser.

I downloaded the tarball, which is setup to install the browser to the "firefox" folder, however I see that my existing Firefox (the one that came preinstalled with FC5) is installed in /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1

Are we supposed to dump the files into the ill-version-named firefox folder that exists, or create a new one? Is there anything I need to run in order for the system to recognize it as the default browser? Am I in way over my head here? LOL...

Thanks for any advice you can offer... I'm still fairly new to Linux, but trying to find my way the best I can on my own.

As root, run the command "yum update firefox".