PDA

View Full Version : Monitors and Xorg.conf

xaphalanx
18th April 2006, 08:46 PM
I'm running FC 5. I switched from a high end flat panel to a crt monitor and suddenly no monitor. The monitor says out of range. I'm assuming this is xorg.conf related. How do I get xorg to recreate the xorg.conf file? And also how do I boot into a command prompt?

Thanks!

urzasrage
18th April 2006, 10:05 PM
in a terminal, type in init 3 as root to exit X Windows
The type in setup and select X configurations to configure it

xaphalanx
18th April 2006, 10:16 PM
Got to setup. Found x configuration. Selected it. It tried to start it, and then got a black screen with a monitor message: "Out of range". Rebooting with a Kubuntu live disk. Thinking of copying over whatever xorg file it makes. Of course I'll be backing up the original. Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks

JordanN
18th April 2006, 10:46 PM
You could try running "system-config-display". I'm not sure which program setup activates.

xaphalanx
18th April 2006, 10:55 PM
Both methods launched a graphical gui "display control panel". I fixed the problem by plugging in a high end monitor similar to the first one, init 3, setup, x configuration. Clicked on the display tab. Selected generic CRT. Unplugged the nice flat panel, plugged in the pos CRT and magically I have a display again! Thanks for your suggestions -- couldn't have done it with out you.