PDA

View Full Version : Firefox freezes system

mvephoto
18th April 2006, 07:46 PM
Hi forum,

Playing with my 1st Fedora install (core 5), and liking it very much this far. I have a problem with firefox - it will freeze the entire system, guaranteed. It's only a matter of time, and "something" (clicking a link, loading a page, you name it) will freeze the system, not just firefox. No mouse/kb responding, nothing. All that's left is a nasty push of the "reset" button to get me going again.

I've searched/Google'd but found no solution, which, in my experience means that I've done something wrong somewhere... :)

How do I go about troubleshooting this one, or do you offer other advice?

Thanks!

tashirosgt
18th April 2006, 08:18 PM
First figure out whether it is really only firefox that causes problems. Perhaps things like gimp do also. Perhaps only things involving networking freeze the system (see if Konqueror freezes it).

If a variety of things freeze it, run memtest86 and check your memory. Look in /var/log/messages and /var/log/gdm/:0.log for error messages. A "magic" cure might be to get the system in to a non-qui mode and run a yum update from the command line. State your specific hardware, perhaps someone else is having trouble with it too.

rbo83
18th April 2006, 08:58 PM
I experienced the same problem after a vanilla install of FC5 with Logical volume management. Firefox hung everything for a while and I killed X by hitting control-alt-backspace, which after a while logged me out. I discovered that my logs showed me running out of swap space ! I checked my fstab for swap, and then discovered inthe system log that it said there was an error in line 7 of fstab. It looked like this :

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=!�!� swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

I have FC1 installed on the first hard drive, and FC5 on the second drive.
Maybe the Logical volume management is buggy on install on a second hard disk with LVM.
I will re-install FC5 without LVM and see if this fixes the swap problem

mvephoto
18th April 2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks - I'll try that (1st reply) and look into that (2nd reply). I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Picomp314
20th April 2006, 06:30 PM
Excuse me for asking a pretty basic question, but is there any way to disable logical volume management after it has already been installed?? It seems to be giving me a boatload of problems, and some of them are pretty similar to the ones described in this thread.

rbo83
20th April 2006, 08:35 PM
I would be surprised that could be done on the disk the system is booted from.
I re-installed FC5 without LVM (100MB ext3 on /boot, 5.8GB ext3 on /, and 300MB on swap)
Swap problem is gone. I still got the bad line 7 fstab message upon install, but simply removed it after the first boot, and everything went fine. LVM does add overhead to the system but not very significantly. One other thing I did with Firefox was to disable ipv6 in the about:config network.dns.disableIPv6, as well as added the following 2 lines to file /etc/modprobe.conf (my router does not support IPv6)

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

That made a significant change to my firefox and Thunderbird performance.
Hope his helps

Picomp314
20th April 2006, 09:23 PM
Ok, well another reason I wanted to disable LVM was that I have two SATA chipsets on my Mobo (Soltek SL-K8TPro-939). The one I am using is the Promise SATA controller, I recently wanted to try and use the VT8237 (which is considered the main controller) because it seems that it will trick the computer into thinking the SATA drive is a normal IDE drive, which I would prefer so that I can more accurately control the settings (hopefully) using hdparm.

With that in mind I guess my main question is, should I just switch the hard drive to the other port, reboot, and go into rescue mode on the FC5 install disk? And then add the new harddrive to my logical volume group, reboot, and then remove the old hard drive from the configuration????? I dont know how familiar you are with the command line lvm tools, but if you are I would really appreciate some specific command examples.

Thanks in advance,
Picomp314

rbo83
21st April 2006, 05:21 PM
I unfortunately am not versed in LVM or SATA drives. I only have experience with IDE drives, my favorite ! You could check the following thread :104991 on this forum, which appears to be a different problem, but has a few pointers how to deal with LVM and howto's. I got rid of LVM altogether anyway, and my strategy for not loosing data is to always have a spare drive with plenty of space to store data, just in case.

Sorry I can't be of more help

dieguin
21st April 2006, 08:12 PM
I am also using FC5, brand new installation, dual boot with Windows XP. It's been working just fine for a couple of weeks, but after I decided to 1) run the software updater (it updated lots and lots of packages) and 2) install SKYPE, my machine started freezing regularly. I have a feeling it's SKYPE, but I think it may be FIREFOX as well. In any case something is freezing my system.

It starts as one program freezing, from then on every program I run or right click on freezes, finally It just get's completely locked down, I can't do anything after that, not even CTRL ALT DEL works. I end up hitting the ON button, which starts a shutdown process. Here is what I see in the /var/log/messages file just before the shut down starts:

Apr 21 12:24:30 localhost gconfd (dieguin-2510): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 2510 user 'dieguin'
Apr 21 12:24:30 localhost gconfd (dieguin-2510): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
Apr 21 12:24:30 localhost gconfd (dieguin-2510): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/Dieguin/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
Apr 21 12:24:30 localhost gconfd (dieguin-2510): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
Apr 21 12:24:33 localhost kernel: audit(1145636673.306:2): avc: denied { write } for pid=2537 comm="pm-powersave" name="vm" dev=proc ino=-268435366 scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:sysctl_vm_t:s0 tclass=dir
Apr 21 12:24:33 localhost gconfd (dieguin-2510): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/Dieguin/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0
Apr 21 12:24:34 localhost kernel: audit(1145636674.454:3): avc: denied { use } for pid=2556 comm="bluez-pin" name="[8866]" dev=pipefs ino=8866 scontext=user_u:system_r:bluetooth_helper_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c255 tclass=fd
Apr 21 12:24:34 localhost kernel: audit(1145636674.454:4): avc: denied { use } for pid=2556 comm="bluez-pin" name="[8866]" dev=pipefs ino=8866 scontext=user_u:system_r:bluetooth_helper_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c255 tclass=fd
Apr 21 12:24:35 localhost kernel: audit(1145636675.531:5): avc: denied { write } for pid=2581 comm="pm-powersave" name="vm" dev=proc ino=-268435366 scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:sysctl_vm_t:s0 tclass=dir
Apr 21 12:47:22 localhost shutdown[2842]: shutting down for system halt

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Diego

pobman
22nd April 2006, 01:04 AM
I also have this problem on my AMD FC5 pc, however I do not on my old pentium 3 pc, I know it is not hardware as I did an install on a similar AMD machine, it had the same problem.

I could still ssh in when it froze from my other server but I could not see any odd error messages, top revealed my xorg was at %99 which when I killed it resolved the freezing of the computer.
In the end I gave up and installed fluxbox, followed by vnc, I have never tried init 5 since, however I do also have VG's on this PC so find this an interesting post.

Choppit
22nd April 2006, 10:25 AM
Have you tried removing any extensions?

martin.sourada
17th July 2006, 09:06 PM
I have the same (or at least very similar) problem - when using firefox my system randomly freezes. Strange think is that the mouse cursor (even though the cursor animation is frozen) can still move - but nevertheless there is need to manual reboot - nothing save mouse works. I tried to find something in bugzilla but there is amazingly nothing like that but this similar kind of freeze: bug 186852 (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186852). I think this system freeze is due to kernel since after last kernel update it seems to occur more freqeuntly. So I filled a bugzilla myself: bug 199182 (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=199182).

bbigby
18th July 2006, 12:38 PM
I also have had the same problem since moving to FC5. I've had two random hard lockups, also while clicking on a link on a webpage while in FireFox. I was at a banking website -- nothing special. In fact, it just happened for the second time 1/2 hour ago. That's why I'm on this forum, looking for answers.

HaydnH
18th July 2006, 05:56 PM
Yup same here, I think this is a serious bug in FC5 atm... and I'm getting nothing useful in the logs to debug it =/ =/

Omega Blue
19th July 2006, 08:15 AM
I still got the bad line 7 fstab message upon install, but simply removed it after the first boot, and everything went fine.

You didn't have to do that, you could simply edit the line to make it work.

Omega Blue
19th July 2006, 08:17 AM
Yup same here, I think this is a serious bug in FC5 atm... and I'm getting nothing useful in the logs to debug it =/ =/

Try disabling IPv6 support first.

martin.sourada
19th July 2006, 03:45 PM
It seems now to work for a quite a long time after disabling some services (I read Firewing's HOW-TO about speeding up boot up process ;)), but who knows? That is the problem of random freezes: you can browse a long long time without freeze and think it is magically solved and then BUM your system freezes... I hope it will not anymore. Oh now I disabled even IPv6 support hoping it will help so after some weeks of browsing I'll tell you if I had any more freezes...

wshawn
19th July 2006, 03:50 PM
Just a thought: have you tried removing and installing firefox?

I did this on another situation and it seem to straighten out the issue very quickly

martin.sourada
19th July 2006, 03:55 PM
Well, ugh, actually I use Firefox 2.0b1 now which is not installed but copied, and it is available only for me (only for one user) so the other users on this computer use Firefox 1.5.0.4 (updated via yum) and they also have that freezes, so I hold it not to be due bad Firefox installation.

martin.sourada
21st July 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi there again. The problem is still here (even after disabling IPv6). However, this time it was in Opera, when I had a system freeze. And what more! I was able to turn off the computer and even save the session (I have the automatically save session turned on). Ask how? I dunno it exactly. I pressed the three buttons on the top of my keyboard (shut down, sleep, wake up) and then I pressed shut down button on my case (pressed not held pushed!) and though system was still frozen my harddisk started to work and after a while there was totally black screen and then - BUM - my computer turned off.

rcrosado
24th July 2006, 12:29 PM
I am also using FC5, brand new installation, dual boot with Windows XP. It's been working just fine for a couple of weeks, but after I decided to 1) run the software updater (it updated lots and lots of packages) and 2) install SKYPE, my machine started freezing regularly. I have a feeling it's SKYPE, but I think it may be FIREFOX as well. In any case something is freezing my system.

It starts as one program freezing, from then on every program I run or right click on freezes, finally It just get's completely locked down, I can't do anything after that, not even CTRL ALT DEL works. I end up hitting the ON button, which starts a shutdown process. Here is what I see in the /var/log/messages file just before the shut down starts:

Hi, I was having the same problem with more than random lockups... as soon as I logged in CPU usage would go up to 100%, nautilus memory usage would be astronomical (around 800 Mb), and the system would stop responding after a while. After seeing your post I remembered tha I had installed both skype and gizmo-project around the time it started happening. Well I've just uninstalled both of them and I can log on again with no problems! Maybe not a solution, but definetely a good start :)

Suredeath
24th July 2006, 01:13 PM
I use FC4 instead of 5, and all FireFox versions sofar have been a nightmare. Especially text-editing form fields on webpages, and much worse, editing in JavaScript/Java-enabled "editors" seems to trigger FireFox in going down. Unproven but often the apparant culprit on my system was pressing Ctrl-Bkspc in form field editing. Another extremely vulnerable part is using the mplayer-plugin. This lead me to a possible link with video driver issues.

I tried removing extensions successively, but could not narrow the problem down to any one of them.

Right now I have about 15 to 25 Firefox crashes a day. Since I changed the video driver from the Open Source Mesa driver for my ATI RADEON 9800 to ATI's proprietary one, Firefox crashes no longer freeze up X/KDE, instead the Browser just disappears without warning. At least X remains alive. When X/KDE crashed as well, before updating the vid driver, in most cases an ssh from another box allowed a proper reboot or X restart.

My kernel is 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4SMP by the way, Firefox 1.5.0.4. Problem seems to have increased a little with growing kernel versions and/or higher versions of Firefox, but basically it started immediately upon installing FC4. Worth noting is that on Centos (final) Firefox isn't very stable either. Konqueror performs much better on both Linux versions. (For the record, I have no Skype or similar installed, and the Centos install is a default install with only nightly yum updates)

I am at the point of abandoning FF altogether until a clear fix has been found, either in FF or elsewehere. (Kernel? I really ain't to happy about 2.6 having become a de facto development release. Not good, I repeat not good!). Suddenly I see a reason again to stick with oldskool 2.4 kernels..

Anyone else who has found a great FF improvement after whatever silly fix was applied ? Or a collection of good links to must-read stuff wrt FireFox issues on Linux?

martin.sourada
24th July 2006, 03:20 PM
I read somwhere in the forums that these freeze doesn't occur to users with 2.4.x kernel. I didn't try it but if it is right, why wasn't that bug in kernel 2.6.x fixed, yet? Are they only adding tons of new features and leaving the bugs as they are?

Suredeath
24th July 2006, 03:29 PM
My point exactly. I would expect that phenomenon with a 2.5 or 2.7 kernel, not with a stable branch, yet I can't help but nod to your suggestion. My gripe with 2.4 is mainly with its less-than-great USB support. But I do have a server box spinning a 2.4 Gentoo kernel and tons of services and even X and Fluxbox, and it seems to be MUCH more stable/reliable than 2.6. But I am aware I may be biased. And I have to admit installing it took well over 48 hrs, all the compile time included.

uth
24th July 2006, 09:45 PM
I too experiece freezes when using Firefox.. They aren't permanant, they resolve in a minute or two, but when they happen, I can't do anything else.

I'm not using the Fedora RPM firefox, instead, I'm using a copy installed to a separate directory, one that's shared with the Red Hat 9 installation that I'm working on migrating off of. I never had this problem in RH9, which uses 2.4 kernels. So it could be a 2.6 issue. I did see similar problems when I installed FC3 on a work PC a year or two back.

msimplay
25th July 2006, 05:04 PM
maybe try disabled javascript / java i turn them off and it seems pretty stable for now just testing of course

------
Edit
Ok it seems that its something to do with my Sata drive the drive seems to crash and take my Fedora core down with it

martin.sourada
12th August 2006, 12:57 PM
After some more "testing" I found that it has nothing to do with firefox - the same freeze occurs when working with any of the applications I work with: firefox, opera, konqueror, nautilus, gaim, GIMP, amule, amaroK, ... I tracked a bug that I think is the particular bug we have experience with: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6605

martin.sourada
1st September 2006, 05:30 PM
I investigated a little, since the freezes became more often, and I think we can better specify the core of problem. I tried many applications, even with firefox turned off, and discovered, that the system freeze is not caused by firefox. OK, so we can go one layer up, I told myself, and tried KDE. And the freeze was there again. So it isn't Gnome problem. So it must be Xserver problem or kernel problem. So another layer up: working not in Xserver. And what I discovered? System never freezes while working in terminal (tty0-6) or when working on the machine via ssh. So, I think it must be hardware problem, that causes Xserver to freeze, or it must be some driver bug (I use the nvidia driver from livna), or it is Xserver bug - or some incompatibility between Xserver and kernel. I think I'll try to play with it a little more... maybe disable nvidia driver, or down/upgrading Xserver... OR try 2.14 kernel?

Is there still anybody, who has some experience with Xserver freeze?

msimplay
1st September 2006, 07:45 PM
I investigated a little, since the freezes became more often, and I think we can better specify the core of problem. I tried many applications, even with firefox turned off, and discovered, that the system freeze is not caused by firefox. OK, so we can go one layer up, I told myself, and tried KDE. And the freeze was there again. So it isn't Gnome problem. So it must be Xserver problem or kernel problem. So another layer up: working not in Xserver. And what I discovered? System never freezes while working in terminal (tty0-6) or when working on the machine via ssh. So, I think it must be hardware problem, that causes Xserver to freeze, or it must be some driver bug (I use the nvidia driver from livna), or it is Xserver bug - or some incompatibility between Xserver and kernel. I think I'll try to play with it a little more... maybe disable nvidia driver, or down/upgrading Xserver... OR try 2.14 kernel?

Is there still anybody, who has some experience with Xserver freeze?

For me it was my graphics card overheating I need some more cooling

HaydnH
2nd September 2006, 09:23 AM
I've been using the standrad nv driver instead of the nvidia driver (not from livna btw) and it's been fine - I think there's a bug or a conflict with the nvidia driver. I've been meaning to try an older nvidia driver but haven't got around to it.

Haydn.

msimplay
2nd September 2006, 04:37 PM
I've been using the standrad nv driver instead of the nvidia driver (not from livna btw) and it's been fine - I think there's a bug or a conflict with the nvidia driver. I've been meaning to try an older nvidia driver but haven't got around to it.

Haydn.

Na its a known issue with my agp sparkle 6800gt, the stock cooling is inadequate.
I'll have to replace the cooling with a nv silencer 5

Also because the graphics card overheats the gets underclocked pentium 4 3.2ghz. I plan to replace the cpu fan with an arctic cooler 7

The reason why it freezes is because linux is underclocking the processor too much due to overheating and in windows it just crashes

fedcor99
2nd September 2006, 06:20 PM
I've had the same problem on my laptop and I went back to XP.

I have FC4 running solid on a cheap desktop and I can play with LAMP and have fun with DHTML and lean stuff about linux with no problem.

The laptop was a disaster. I know I could have figured it out what was wrong. But I had FC5 on there since it came out and I got along with essentially crippled software until it got to the point where it slowly ceased to funtion. I was not going to go through another install.

The advice I saw on the forum was useless. At first the claim was the heat in August was the culprit . Just because I used FC5 doesn't mean I live in my car,.

Anyway, I know it's a hobby system and you have to be an expert (except for FC4 on the desktop) but it has to have some basic level of stability. If there is a problem like this that can't be fixed with community support, the sponser has to step in and fix it.

Cheers, Ed.

wshawn
3rd September 2006, 12:14 PM
It seems that in the last few firefox releases this would happen. I also noticed a couple days ago that Java was no longer working on web sites. Maybe its time to visit Staton's install instructions and reinstall it as I have changed kernels a few times (and it isn't working anyway).

Or I could get that section rebuilt on my site... (which is going through a rebuild)

My firefox has been "freezing" on some pages also.

martin.sourada
3rd September 2006, 04:43 PM
I updated Xserver (from AIGLX repo), since the new nvidia drivers support 7.1 version and the have not had a freeze yet again, however I use firefox 2 beta 2. But my sister had one freeze with Firefox 1.5.0.6 since the X update. I think the last stable firefox isn't much stable... And that my freezes were caused by some bug in Xserver. I will see after some more working...

ADJ
3rd September 2006, 08:53 PM
hey,
I also have randomly freezes in FC5 but they only take a few seconds and I can't find any interesting info in the log. As long as they're not permanent I do not complain. Within a month we can install FC6 :)

martin.sourada
3rd September 2006, 10:33 PM
So, I had another freeze. Though after update of Xserver the random freezes seem less often, they still occur. Maybe I try to run 2.4.x kernel or try to disable nvidia driver. These are the last ideas I have. But also I long for FC6 and hope it will work better...

HaydnH
9th September 2006, 12:31 PM
I've started using the latest nVidia driver which was released recently (1.0-8774) and I haven't had any crashes, the newest release has:

* Added support for X.Org 7.1.
* Added support for XVideo with the Composite X extension when using X.Org 7.1.
* Improved interaction with newer Linux kernels.

Lale
9th September 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,
I tried to follow this discussion since I am expirienceing the same (or at least a similar) problem.

I run FC5 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp on Dual-core Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
So there mipses to be spent... also the graphics should be good enough -
This is a section in my /etc/xorg.conf (recognized by FC5 set-up):
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Dell E176FP"
DisplaySize 340 270
HorizSync 31.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The problem is that the PC first doesn't "refresh" the screen (or "redraw" the same) properly.
It is usually when some involving WEB-page is opened. The half of the browser window becomes light-ish blue (similar to the color of the background here) and then no input (keboard or mouse) is possible.
Only hard-reset helps :mad:

The probelm was very frequent with Firefox so I "repleaced" it with Opera.
Now the problem is no so frequent, but it appears here and there (once in 2-3 days in average).

I would be very greatful if anyone could direct me how to solve this probelm (it is a bit anoying :(

Kind regards,
LALE

leotech
13th September 2006, 06:03 PM
I have scoured the forum's and this thread seems to be the most appropriate for my problem. I ran FC4 with no problems but in FC5 I can't run X. I get random freezes. Not just X freezes, the entire machine freezes and can't even be pinged.

This is a circa '01 Compaq 1700 laptop with a Radeon M6 card. I have the most recent kernel (2174?) and accompanying fglrx package from livna. In my xorg.conf under "Driver" I have "radeon".

under runlevel 3 (init 3) the machine does not freeze. It also does not freeze if I never log in but X is running (gdm). But otherwise it freezes, even if the only X application is the terminal application that comes with gnome.

I wouldn't mind running the vesa driver, but I'd like to retain my 1400x1050 resolution.

One more (perhaps useful) piece of information. This machine used to be a Windows box until XP SP2. It worked just fine with the stock XP from the recovery DVD, but after a few windows updates it would freeze randomly in the same way it does now. I moved this machine to Linux then (3 yrs ago) and had no problems until now.

If anyone can help me make X functional at all that would be great. OW I hope the data point is useful...

martin.sourada
13th September 2006, 07:23 PM
I have scoured the forum's and this thread seems to be the most appropriate for my problem. I ran FC4 with no problems but in FC5 I can't run X. I get random freezes. Not just X freezes, the entire machine freezes and can't even be pinged.

It is very similar to my freezes. The only difference is that I can ping my frozen machine and log in via ssh and then safely restart it.

Saturnyne
19th October 2006, 10:32 AM
I am yet another user having this problem. It's been driving me insane. It happens on (seemingly) random webpages in Firefox (other browsers just freeze themselves), and click-dragging windows and icons also causes this freeze for me. With this problem, I also cannot run KDE, nor can I record for more than a minute at a time in Audacity (Freezes while drawing the waveform data during recording).

When the freeze occurs, I can move the mouse cursor around, but the mouse cursor animation is frozen, no clicks register, and the keyboard does not respond either. I can't even change the NumLock mode.

nvidia GeForce 2 MX
2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 kernel
Xorg-X11 version 7.0.0
AMD T-bird at 1.2 ghz

ADDENDUM:

After a little diagnosing, I've narrowed down the cause of the Firefox problem in and of itself as being caused by loading certain kinds of images, or at least, images from certain servers. On gamefaqs.com I noticed that my system halted when connecting to adlog.com.com. I told Firefox to block images from the site. Also, I enabled the "Load from originating server only" option. The freeze did not happen again.

So, it's definitely related either to certain types of images that it has to load, or something to do with servers such as adlog.com.com.

JWilliamCupp
22nd October 2006, 02:15 AM
I have been having this 'random lock up' problem with FC5 for about two weeks now, myself.

(To be fair, I had an earlier problem that I only recently untangled ... maybe the lock up now shows because the machine is being used more.)

Symptoms: you're using the machine when everything suddenly stops. No keyboard input works. No mouse input works. No video output moves. Power down reboot is the only option.

The machine: FC5 on an AMD with nVidia.

Additionally, it seems as if network use may be the problem. At first I only noticed it happened when using Opera, but now we understand it happens when using Firefox, as well. So far, it has never happened unless a network browser is loaded and running. You may or may not be actively using the browser, but if it's running a lock up may occur. I'm not certain the network browser is the culprit (or even involved) but it does seem to be a common occurence. And since it happens with two browser applications, I suspect something in FC5 (not Opera or Firefox).

Any ideas?

- Bill

JWilliamCupp
22nd October 2006, 02:43 AM
First figure out whether it is really only firefox that causes problems. Perhaps things like gimp do also. Perhaps only things involving networking freeze the system (see if Konqueror freezes it).

If a variety of things freeze it, run memtest86 and check your memory. Look in /var/log/messages and /var/log/gdm/:0.log for error messages.

When using Opera or Firefox with FC5, it randomly completely locks up. When so, nothing works ... keyboard, mouse, monitor, nada. Can't even telnet in across the network. It's just stuck.

Only a hard-power-down reboot works.

At first we thought it was Opera but it happens with Firefox, too. You needn't be using the browser application, it only has to be open (and in the background). Can't tie it to any particular browser activity.

From the above advice, I either don't have memtest86 or don't know how to run it. (Help?)

My /var/log/messages file shows a high recurrence rate of the message
"Possible deadlock: Trying to lookup SID S-1-22-2-504 with passdb backend"
but I have no idea what to do about it. It seems to be repeating every few seconds ... in fact, after the last freeze-up and reboot, we see this message in the log file even though the computer hasn't locked up (yet).

I also looked in /var/log/gdm/:0.log but didn't see any obvious error messages. Just notation about reading the xorg.conf file and loading what looks to be a bunch of settings relating to my monitor hardware.

Anybody have any helpful ideas on troubleshooting this one? Thanks,

- Bill

tashirosgt
22nd October 2006, 03:46 AM
On the Fedora installation cd, running memtest is one of the "other options" that you can choose before you install.

Hlingler
2nd November 2006, 01:03 AM
I'm very new to Linux, so I don't understand most of the procedures described in this thread, but I've checked out as many as I could. However, I have a very similar problem: Firefox freezes at random points, usually while loading a page/RSS feed/etc. No freezes with any other applications. Same problem with Firefox revision that came with FC5 (1.5.0.7-something) and Firefox 2.0 (3rd-party .rpm). Several clicks on the "Close" button opens a terminate application dialog, which shuts down Firefox with no problem. Narrowed the problem down to the "NoScript" extension - disabling it ceased freezes. Disappointing, it was my favorite add-on. Don't know if this is the same problem as described in this thread or not, but hope it helps.
ALSO, similar freeze when trying "Switch User>Lock Current & Start New Session" from KDE (default user) to GNOME (root) - computer freezes after entering root password, and only recourse is hard power reset. This sounds like the same problem you guys are describing. Hoping for help...!

tashirosgt
2nd November 2006, 03:19 PM
Where was the "NoScript" extension configured? I'm not famiiar with that.

Hlingler
7th November 2006, 04:04 AM
Discovered that the Firefox freezes were caused by any extension that attempted to access/play a sound, as well as any attempt to change the sounds played by the extension(s) - this has to be the same problem that I've read about elsewhere relating to "access denied" when trying to change sound settings (that problem has disappeared, too). Both the Firefox freezes and the "Switch User" freezes stopped at some point after I installoed some updates, but I have absolutely no idea exactly when, or which updates solved these problems.

admun
17th November 2006, 05:32 PM
hum... even after I upgraded to FC6 on my IBM t30, I am seeing this freeze very often. The whole screen/mouse/keyboard just stopped. Rhythmbox and firefox is most often when the freeze occurs. It's just suck.

Hlingler
18th November 2006, 09:55 AM
admun: Are you sure you have the correct kernel? Anaconda installed the wrong kernel (i586) on my box, and nothing worked right until I installed the correct kernel (i686). Also, a little further digging showed that the sound access freezes were caused by restrictions on permission to /tmp. I changed permissions of /tmp to all users=rwx, and the sound freezes stopped. HOWEVER, this wrecked some other configuration files (must then delete all files /tmp/gconfd-*). Hope this helps. Good luck.

martin.sourada
18th November 2006, 11:30 AM
Hi there, again
I have one thought. About month ago I bought new notebook and installed there FCpre6 and FC6 was finally released upgraded to it. I have never have the freeze on the notebook - therefore I think that the freezes are hardware specific. I myself think that the very problem are nvidia drivers with certain cards - I do not remember any freeze before I installed them. Btw. on my FC5 machine I still have the freezes.

So please, anyone who still have FC freezes, please post here your hardware configuration, maybe it might help. I will start (with the freezing machine):
AOpen AK72
AMD Athlon 900Mhz
nVidia GeForce2 MX400
WD 100GB
Seagate ST* 10/6GB
LiteOn DVD+/-RW

jinx099
18th November 2006, 08:57 PM
I'm having the freeze issue as well. Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6300
Gigabyte P965-DS3
nVidia 7900GS
2 GB Patriot DDR2
Westrn Digital 250 GB SATA2 hd

name_user
18th November 2006, 11:25 PM
It happens to me when the computer idled for extended period of time (say hours). It seems it has something to do with network. Probably try to restart Network through System--> Administration-->Service

admun
20th November 2006, 03:46 PM
admun: Are you sure you have the correct kernel? Anaconda installed the wrong kernel (i586) on my box, and nothing worked right until I installed the correct kernel (i686). Also, a little further digging showed that the sound access freezes were caused by restrictions on permission to /tmp. I changed permissions of /tmp to all users=rwx, and the sound freezes stopped. HOWEVER, this wrecked some other configuration files (must then delete all files /tmp/gconfd-*). Hope this helps. Good luck.
I have the correct kernel (i686). I think my problem is due to a bug in X11 ati driver, I just found a ticket opened in bugzilla.

Thanks for the replied.

manojg
20th November 2006, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I am having the similar problem.

Yesterday, I updated my FC5 to FC6. In FC5 firefox was working fine. But in FC6 there is a problem. The firefox freezes (only browser, not the whole system) when I try to load some web pages like yahoo,...... and even this fedoraforum.org. But not with all web sites. I can browser google and others. So, when it freezes, I have to kill the process.

My spec:
Dell inspiron laptop with Intel Due core 2 GHz
2 GB Ram
ATI 256 MB
SONY DVD +/- RW
ATA Hitachi 80 GB
2.6.18-1.2849.fc6/Window XP

With FC6, I am having other update problems. When I tried to update gDeskLets, gDeskCal etc., it tried to update the kernel (implicitly because actually it does show the kernel update) to 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 which is already in my system. Then it showed error massages that this kernel is conflicting with the existing kernel and aborted the update.

Any solution?

manojg
21st November 2006, 12:10 AM
Hi,

There is another problem. In FC5 I can use AdobeReader. Now, in FC6 it shows "syntex error" massage and can't open the file.

jinx099
21st November 2006, 12:32 AM
I had a freeze the other day without firefox open. However, I did have vnc running, so maybe it is just network related instead of just firefox.

Also, it can't be just a problem with the ATI driver, since I have an nVidia card and am getting frequent lockups.

manojg
21st November 2006, 03:14 PM
Hi,

The freezing problem of firefox is fixed automatically. There are still some problems with it like it crashes when video is played. I guess it will be fix after few updates.

admun
21st November 2006, 10:48 PM
I have the correct kernel (i686). I think my problem is due to a bug in X11 ati driver, I just found a ticket opened in bugzilla.

Thanks for the replied.my problem on t30 seem to be related to a x11 ati driver bug. I just update the driver last night and I have not see the crash.... I've been pushing it for hours and it's no longer crashing. keeping my finger crossed.

see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=213227

walden_pond
4th December 2006, 04:03 AM
I have the same (or at least very similar) problem - when using firefox my system randomly freezes. Strange think is that the mouse cursor (even though the cursor animation is frozen) can still move - but nevertheless there is need to manual reboot - nothing save mouse works. I tried to find something in bugzilla but there is amazingly nothing like that but this similar kind of freeze: bug 186852 (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186852). I think this system freeze is due to kernel since after last kernel update it seems to occur more freqeuntly. So I filled a bugzilla myself: bug 199182 (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=199182).

I have the same symptons. Mouse works for some time while the system has frozen and then everything freezes.

I am using 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5smp kernel. Firefox has no extensions installed.