PDA

View Full Version : Want to Partition C: drive without formating

himanshuggc
18th April 2006, 11:43 AM
I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition.The Hard Disk is 80 GB.It has C: Drive 67 GB and a Recovery Drive 8 GB(locked/protected).Now I want to partition this 67GB C: drive into 47 GB(windows) and 20GB for Linux.I want to partition this without Formatting the C: drive.Does any one know how i can do it.I heard that, there is a software called Partition Magic can it solve my problem.(If yes then is it safe to use Partition Magic.Will my data be intact after partitioning).Are there any other softwares available for partitioning the existing C: drive without formatting.

galatei
18th April 2006, 11:56 AM
I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition.The Hard Disk is 80 GB.It has C: Drive 67 GB and a Recovery Drive 8 GB(locked/protected).Now I want to partition this 67GB C: drive into 47 GB(windows) and 20GB for Linux.I want to partition this without Formatting the C: drive.Does any one know how i can do it.I heard that, there is a software called Partition Magic can it solve my problem.(If yes then is it safe to use Partition Magic.Will my data be intact after partitioning).Are there any other softwares available for partitioning the existing C: drive without formatting.
Yes, Norton Partition Magic is an application designed especially with such situations in mind.
You can Create/Delete/Move/Resize/backup and undelete partitions as you wish, as far as these are FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions.

There's also another program, so called: Ranish partition manager, which is also very useful with such tasks, although is not so well supported.

Bear in mind that all repartitioning stuff is done in "DOS" mode, before Windows starts so it will take some time, also backup all your data before doing anything with your main partition, defragment your disk to repartition it faster and more secure.

It will be also good idea to have a backup power (UPS) to prevent disk damage or data loss while repartitioning your disk, it can take few hours to complete, depending on your computer's performance.

Best regards