PDA

View Full Version : equivalent to Yahoo with BT Communicator?

code_astronomer
18th April 2006, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent to Yahoo Messenger (with BT Communicator) is for FC5?
I have people I need to talk to using a headset (PC to PC calls) but I fear I'm going to have to use Windows for this.
Is there anything I can get for Linux that will allow me to communicate with Windows users that use Yahoo Messenger?
I have the Linux version of yahoo messenger installed, but it lacks sooo many features available for Windows users.

Thanks

brahms
18th April 2006, 03:49 PM
Use Gaim. It has support for Yahoo.

wesetters
18th April 2006, 05:39 PM
but it doesn't have voice messaging. Otherwise, we could just use yahoo messenger for unix. but british telecom won't produce linux software :(

code_astronomer
18th April 2006, 07:03 PM
I always said BT were ****s.
I bet they don't know what Linux is.

I tried to find Gnome Meeting...but it appears to have either a) dissapeared b) slipped my sight
would that work for PC to PC calls?
Perhaps I/we should complain to BT or whoever writes their software and ask politely for a Linux version.

code_astronomer
18th April 2006, 10:22 PM
Update:

I found Gnome Meeting...it's now called Ekiga.
Tried to connect to my yahoo account on a windows pc but it didn't work...then tried yahoo to ekiga...but it didn't work.
Shame...looks like I'll have to boot windows on my pc when I need to do this pc to pc calling via yahoo :(