10g - Spare partition
60g - FAT32 data partition

The RHEL 10g partition is split into
/boot - approx 100Mb
LVM - the rest

The LVM is then split into two partitions
swap - approx 2g (I have 1g ram)
root - the rest

I'm wondering if I can somehow share my swap partition between RHEL and Fedora Core 5. I don't want to waste 2g of the disk for a second swap partition. Will I need to repartition my current installation so that the swap partition is outwith the LVM?

Will I need separate LVMs for RHEL and Fedora? Could I somehow install them both within the same LVM so as to be able to share a 20g partition between the two? I'm thinking that this would allow them to dynamically share the 20g as required, instead of having each one limited to 10g.

Any and all advice or pointers to faws, howtos, etc greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - Callum.

ilja
18th April 2006, 10:58 AM
Sure, you can use the same swap partition for any Linux and UNIX installation.
And a 2 GB swap Partition is very big. Less is very often more than enough.

chmac
18th April 2006, 11:09 AM
Right now my swap partition is within a Logical Volume (LVM). Do you think I can use the partition in it's current form, within the Logical Volume, for both Fedora and RHEL or would I need to make it external to the LVM?

Cheers - Callum.

Martijn - R'dam
5th September 2006, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I want to install both FC4 and Ubuntu Dapper, but with manually partitioning the second installation I have to mount a partitioning as root again. If I do this then I loose the prior installation.

If first installed Fedora and now I'm trying to also install Ubuntu. For me very difficult!

I don't completely understand this so that's why it is not working...

With the manually partitioning the first time I did it as following:
/dev/hda1 / 10.000
/dev/hda2 /ubuntu 20.000
/dev/hda3 /home 10.000
/dev/hda4 extended (5&6)
/dev/hda5 /swap 996
/dev/hda6/ /data

After this I don't know how to proceed with the Ubuntu installer... (in the manually partitioning fase)

I have to assign the mount points in the same way?

The installer doesn't allow me to not mount /dev/hda1 at all... If I change the mount point the Fedora installation is not to be found anymore.

I'm already one month stuck with this problem...
Sorry for explaining this so ****ty but that's logical because I don't understand this!

chmac
6th September 2006, 06:40 AM
Quick update, yes I'm successfully using one swap partition within an LVM for CentOS and FC5.

Martijn - R'dam: Sounds like your problem is unrelated to this thread, why not start a new thread?