PDA

View Full Version : hell of a firewall.

18th April 2006, 10:38 AM
im having a hell of a time opening up the required ports for GTK-Gnutella.

it does use 6346 Primarilly doesnt it? The listen port is changable, but i cant find, seem to change the mighty door that allows the width of my incomming and outgoing transfers.

I've disabled the firewall through Security Level and Firewall, and have opened relevet ports on my router successfully,

Router is correct as Winblows shows said ports open for limewire and shazare which i use,

How do i test my fc5 machine to see weather ports are open or blocked firstly, and are you able to chande the port in gtk-gnutella?

buddha
18th April 2006, 03:43 PM
How do i test my fc5 machine to see weather ports are open or blocked firstlyYou can use nmap (nmapfe is the GUI version) from another PC.

Or go to http://www.grc.com/ and use the ShieldsUp online port scanner.

Firewing1
18th April 2006, 04:14 PM
You can use nmap (nmapfe is the GUI version) from another PC.

Or go to http://www.grc.com/ and use the ShieldsUp online port scanner.
For gnutella you don't need to open the ports in your Firewall -- I'm using LimeWire (A client of the gnutella network) and just having the ports 6346, 6347, and 33301 works well.

Oh, and speaking of a hell of a firewall, can I recommend Firestarter? It's MUCH better that iptables in terms of interface and it works very well! Plus once you setup sudo to allow you to start the tray icon (see the Firestarter's site's FAQ), it's really nice!

Firewing1

20th April 2006, 12:10 PM
have been using firestarter.. that still did not help sadly..

i checked with canyouseeme.org or what ever the site is called which sends a packet to that port i supose the error was a time out :P

and what you mean you dont need to open up ports in your firewall..?? im currently seeing bugger all, files that is. and its slower then slow should be, even from fast hosts. .

thanks for the links tho, ill be sure to investigate ;)

Firewing1
20th April 2006, 10:54 PM
"adding ports" simply refers to adding the ports to the list of exceptions or "allowed ports"
Firewing1