PDA

View Full Version : Importing photos from camera with gThumb

Wayne
18th April 2006, 08:14 AM
Did the problem of importing photos from digital cameras with gThumb ever get solved? I guess it's a permission problem because it works fine as root and if I go into /dev/bus/usb/ and change the permissions of the /dev/bus/usb/00x file as root when I switch on the camera it works too. Obviously, that file is created when the camera is turned on and only lasts for that session so doing it every time is a PIA. The only problem is being a clueless noob I haven't the foggiest idea what to do about it! Any help appreciated.

This is the problem to refresh any memories:

An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.

Wayne

Wayne
20th April 2006, 01:01 AM
Well, it looks like this noob fixed it by trial and error. I found this link while looking through another forum:

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Although most of it went right over my head, I did learn one little thing so I went to:

/etc/udev/rules.d

and opened the file:

50-udev.rules

Then changed one line so it looks like this:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", \
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", \
NAME="%c", MODE="0666"

The important part is the "MODE" part, I just changed that value from what was originally there. It now means that the device is readable and writeable to everyone. A small price to pay for a functioning camera for users!

Wayne

Trek1701
2nd May 2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks a lot rondonjin ;)

psyklops
5th June 2006, 02:31 PM
This worked for me also! :) thanx

marisdembovskis
15th June 2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot, rondonjin!
I changed 0644 to 0666
And it works smooth and is OK.

you smart and patient, I also find posts, but could not figure out that I need 50-udev.rules.

jou...

supaaaa!

Maris

Wayne
15th June 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks a lot, rondonjin!
I changed 0644 to 0666
And it works smooth and is OK.

you smart and patient, I also find posts, but could not figure out that I need 50-udev.rules.

jou...

supaaaa!

Maris

Glad it worked for you too... and everyone else, of course! :D

Wayne

jeffy5
8th September 2006, 01:28 AM
Thanks alot Rondonjin

I used the advice you gave and my digital camera works perfectly in Fedora Core 5.

Wayne
8th September 2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks alot Rondonjin

I used the advice you gave and my digital camera works perfectly in Fedora Core 5.

Good. I'm surprised this issue hasn't been 'fixed' yet.

Wayne

dann
19th October 2006, 03:21 AM
Thanks for that tip. Worked great for my camera. This one was very frustration. Running gthumb as root worked, but that was a hack workaround. The udev stuff is a little unwieldy, thanks for the pointer. I don't know why the permissions would be defaulted to 644 rather that 666? Anyway - thanks

Wayne
19th October 2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks for that tip. Worked great for my camera. This one was very frustration. Running gthumb as root worked, but that was a hack workaround. The udev stuff is a little unwieldy, thanks for the pointer. I don't know why the permissions would be defaulted to 644 rather that 666? Anyway - thanks

Just as a FYI, in another thread I started yesterday I noticed that a recent update, probably to udev, created a new rules file (and backed up the old one) and set it back to 0664!

Cheers

Wayne

Omega Blue
19th October 2006, 03:36 AM
Good. I'm surprised this issue hasn't been 'fixed' yet.

I couldn't say I ever had a problem with uploading images from digital cameras, but there is a better way.

Buy an USB card (flash card) reader. One of those 18 or 23 in 1 things that can read Compact Flash, etc., etc. Remove the card from your camera and plug it in. Then connect that baby to an USB port. In a few seconds the card should show up as an external storage device. Viola, you can do all the copying you want. :)

Wayne
19th October 2006, 03:47 AM
I couldn't say I ever had a problem with uploading images from digital cameras, but there is a better way.

Buy an USB card (flash card) reader. One of those 18 or 23 in 1 things that can read Compact Flash, etc., etc. Remove the card from your camera and plug it in. Then connect that baby to an USB port. In a few seconds the card should show up as an external storage device. Viola, you can do all the copying you want. :)

Yes, I bought an SD card reader for my camera phone a long while back. When the phone broke I got a new one but that took Mini SD, luckily my card reader came with a Mini SD converter! I don't think I want to get another reader for my ancient camera though. I've decided that I'm going to spend very little, if any money on this hobby in the future and divert all my hobby funds over to beer making. My only use for a PC is to keep in touch with people, watch my PAL DVDs and save and organise my digital pics. When Fedora, or the distro I use in the future gets too space or memory hungry for the PC I'm now running I might consider upgrading but this one does everything I need.

Cheers

Wayne

leigh123linux
29th July 2007, 10:59 PM
Well, it looks like this noob fixed it by trial and error. I found this link while looking through another forum:

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Although most of it went right over my head, I did learn one little thing so I went to:

/etc/udev/rules.d

and opened the file:

50-udev.rules

Then changed one line so it looks like this:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", \
PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", \
NAME="%c", MODE="0666"

The important part is the "MODE" part, I just changed that value from what was originally there. It now means that the device is readable and writeable to everyone. A small price to pay for a functioning camera for users!

Wayne

Thanks

This got my camera working sweet in F7 :cool:

Wayne
30th July 2007, 02:49 AM
Another satisfied customer :)

I'm amazed that this tip is still relevant as it was originally for FC5. Still, Dan (AKA TangledWeb) apparently makes the change as a matter of course when installing.

I didn't need to do it in FC6 or in F7, my camera works fine without the change.

Wayne

nisu
6th August 2007, 06:36 PM
My 2 cents:

In FC6 I had no problems with photo import.

But in Fedora 7, I noticed that after updating kernel to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 I got the same error message that mentioned in the first post. Everything worked fine with earlier kernel versions. And after updating to 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 things were back in normal. The fix mentioned in this thread didn't help when running the "broken" kernel.

jeffy5
16th November 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot,

Your post helped me greatly. I am using Fedora 8 and have a Canon G-2 Power Shot. Changing the permissions helped to get the camera to load pictures to my laptop. Thanks a million.

Dan
16th November 2007, 05:02 PM
Another satisfied customer :)

I'm amazed that this tip is still relevant as it was originally for FC5. Still, Dan (AKA TangledWeb) apparently makes the change as a matter of course when installing.

I didn't need to do it in FC6 or in F7, my camera works fine without the change.

Wayne Aye.

My cameras all work fine too, but I've found this little jewel of a fix can also cure a lot of external hard drive, USB thumbdrive and external CD-R/W problems too. Nice detective work, Wayne.

Dan

clay247
29th November 2007, 11:23 PM
If you are still having problems try:

sudo /sbin/modprobe usb_uhci
sudo /sbin/depmod -ae

In my case, i had been hacking with an old webcam, and had rmmod somethings by accident.

Also run a:

sudo /sbin/lsusb -v

to be certain your camera is connected and detected as expected.

After this, gthumb-import stated popping up again as expected.

James Bridge
12th January 2008, 09:30 PM
If you are still having problems try:

sudo /sbin/modprobe usb_uhci
sudo /sbin/depmod -ae

In my case, i had been hacking with an old webcam, and had rmmod somethings by accident.

Also run a:

sudo /sbin/lsusb -v

to be certain your camera is connected and detected as expected.

After this, gthumb-import stated popping up again as expected.

This worked for me, without changing the 50-udev-default.rules file. Changing selinux policy to "permissive" also allows the camera to open.

When fedora is freshly installed the camera downloads as expected. It seems to be possible to corrupt a file by connecting a different device, like a scanner. This fix seems to repair the damage.