PDA

View Full Version : Installing X Windows through Command Line [FC3]

slaquer
18th April 2006, 06:48 AM
Hello, I am new to Fedora, yum, and all the things about it. I haven't used linux since RH4...so.

I ordered a server from ValueWeb. It is a P4/1GBRAM/80GBHD running Fedora Core 3 with Plesk 7.5.

X11 is not installed on this machine, I would liek to know how to use yum to install everything need to run an X server [KDE/GNOME/XFCE, all required libraries, etc]

Is there an easy way to do this?

The reason I want to do this is so I can use VNC to get into the XServer running on my server.

I do not have physical access to this machine, but it can't be toooo hard, can it?

Thanks!
-slaquer

Tuxic
18th April 2006, 07:12 AM
What you are trying to do is install 3-4 big hifty packages, each which consists of lots and lots of packages, the best solution is to use the groupinstall command in yum to get the job done alll in one short and clean command, read below :

1- become root
su
2-
yum grouplist
3- The output that I get on my machine (bare in mind it's FC5) :
[sam@localhost ~]$ yum grouplist
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
dries [1/7]
livna [2/7]
macromedia [3/7]
updates [4/7]
core [5/7]
freshrpms [6/7]
extras [7/7]
Error: Caching enabled and local cache: //var/cache/yum/extras/comps.xml does no t match checksum
[sam@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost sam]# yum grouplist
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
dries [1/7]
dries 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
livna [2/7]
livna 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
macromedia [3/7]
macromedia 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates [4/7]
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
core [5/7]
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
freshrpms [6/7]
freshrpms 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras [7/7]
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
comps.xml 100% |=========================| 35 kB 00:00
Installed Groups:
Office/Productivity
Engineering and Scientific
Editors
System Tools
GNOME Software Development
Text-based Internet
X Software Development
DNS Name Server
GNOME Desktop Environment
Authoring and Publishing
Network Servers
Games and Entertainment
Legacy Software Development
Java Development
X Window System
Graphics
Web Server
Eclipse
Printing Support
KDE (K Desktop Environment)
Mail Server
Server Configuration Tools
Sound and Video
Administration Tools
Development Tools
Graphical Internet
Available Groups:
MySQL Database
Window Managers
XFCE Software Development
Legacy Network Server
FTP Server
Hardware Support
XFCE
Web Development
Windows File Server
KDE Software Development
Educational Software
PostgreSQL Database
News Server
Done

4- You want gnome/KDE/XFCE/X11 and all of that good stuff, here is how to do all of that using one simple command :

yum -y groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" "XFCE"

5- The command above will get the packages and approve automatically so feel free to walk away and comeback in a while for all of these big packages to be installed properly.

6- finally you want to get vnc and vnc server installed, use the following command (become root as before) :

yum -y install vnc vnc-server

7- That should be all make sure you do a restart after all is said and done and you should be a happy camper after that.

Hope I was helpful enough, if not then ask if you have any further questions :)

slaquer
18th April 2006, 07:21 AM
Thank you so much! This is much much easier then I woudl have ever thought, things have come a long long way since RH4 :]

Also one quick question, I know FC5 is more recent then FC3, but is there really any reason for me to upgrade to FC5? Everything on my server works currently, and it took quite a while for me and others to get working, as we are all outdated on linux by about 5 years. Any major advantages? Keep in mind this is a co-located machine in a NOC that I have no use for other then serving as HTTP/Mail/FTP/DNS server.

Thanks again, made my night :]

Tuxic
18th April 2006, 07:29 AM
Fedora Core is as you most probably know is the type of distro for those who want to be on the bleeding edge of the technology to everyone I know I recommend using the latest Fedora release, it would have been different if you were using fedora core 4 , but for 3 I am not sure.

Servers aren't really my area of speciality here so I think it's wise to leave the door open for input from members who are more experienced in that side of the story than me, but my last input about this would be, to make sure you run a :

yum -y update
before you run any of the commands I have mentioned above , then do a restart and then issue the commands that I have mentioned above, at least you would be sure that FC3 would be fully updated and all securtiy updates have been isntalled and you are using the latest kernel.

But I wouldn't worry much about using Fedora Core 5 if you are not looking at the fancy new stuff that comes with it(which are mostly geared towards people who use Fedora as a desktop distro as opposed to a server distro) just my $ 2/100 :)
And your welcome ;)

slaquer
18th April 2006, 07:30 AM
Agh...I have run into a problem already:

---------------------OUTPUT

(61/152): yelp-2.6.3-1.i386.rpm 8.0 kB 00:00
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 7, in ?
yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 146, in main
base.doTransaction()
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 645, in doTransaction
problems = self.downloadPkgs(downloadpkgs)
File "__init__.py", line 457, in downloadPkgs
File "repos.py", line 566, in get
File "mirror.py", line 414, in urlgrab
File "mirror.py", line 392, in _mirror_try
File "mirror.py", line 290, in _get_mirror
IndexError: list index out of range
-------------------------END OUTPUT

It was running as a BG process (yum -y groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" "XFCE" &) I then pressed enter and it quit on me.

I started it up again, and it hasn't gotten to the "yelp" package yet, so we will see I suppose.

Thank again,
-slaquer

slaquer
18th April 2006, 07:31 AM
---------edit
Also, thanks for letting me know about FC5. I read what you put, and luckily I did a yum update before I ran the groupinstall commands, although I did not reboot...I hope it all goes well, if not I made a image backup of my drive through my dedicated host, so I can restore it if need be.
Thanks again, so happy I found this forum.
-------end edit

Sorry, it seems to be working fine now.

---------------------OUTPUT
(1/92): yelp-2.6.3-1.i386 100% |=========================| 275 kB 00:01
---------------------END OUTPUT

-slaquer

Tuxic
18th April 2006, 07:37 AM
If you have already executed the groupinstall command and didn't catch my last message, at least after you are done with the big groupinstall , do a :

yum -y update

So that your entire system is % 100 up to date (apps, kernel...etc) and more secure. After that do a restart and you should find your self and a nice GUI with everything setup and ready for you.
Good Night.

EDIT : Oops it seems that you got my message and did an update command, that's good, and no it's no biggie if you didn't restart, but it's something I prefer to do personally after big updates, but you will need a restart after the groupinstall so that everything launches automatically at bootup.

slaquer
18th April 2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks a bunch, its still going at it...45 packages left...**waits** :]

I'll make sure to do a restart, and then connect to my new X Windows envirement via vnc :]

-slaquer