PDA

View Full Version : General Question

backasswards
15th April 2006, 09:44 PM
I have recently installed FC5. I have installed KDE, not gnome ( I made sure that gnome was unchecked at install time). However, there are a few thousand files with gnome in the file name. Just to give an idea, the command

find / -name '*gnome*' | wc -l

produces 3713.

Do I need all of these files, libraries, and other cruft? Or can I safely remove some or all? Or is there no sweeping yes/no answer to my question, but an "it depends" answer?

Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated. :)

backasswards
15th April 2006, 09:55 PM
Just another note, I did my best to insure that no gnome apps, front-ends, or other gnome randomness was installed at install time.

sebnukem
15th April 2006, 09:57 PM
FYI I have GNOME without KDE installed on my FC5. In this case, your find commands yelds 6929.

backasswards
15th April 2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info sebnukem. That gives me a good yardstick to go by. If I have ~ half of that amount, I would like to believe that some of the files are unnecessary. Does anybody know of a way to search for libraries that no prog. or app. uses? Or to find useless files?

bkeefe
26th April 2006, 09:54 AM
back, I have exactly the same issue. I'll be following this thread.

jaydot
26th April 2006, 02:16 PM
search for libraries that no prog. or app. uses?

Well, any library will have come from *some* package. (I doubt there are too
many nuggets of free dirt in there). You could use rpm to:

1. Find the package a file came from: rpm -qf <filepath>
..then you know what package caused it to be installed. Maybe you'll decide you
don't want that package, then you could remove it, though it probably
would be wise to see if anything else depends upon *it*.

icydog
26th April 2006, 05:16 PM
You can get a list of some gnome packages by rpm -qa |grep gnome, and you can check dependencies with rpm -q --whatrequires somepackage. You can probably remove them with rpm -e if they're not useful, but don't listen to me because I have a habit of breaking things. By the way, I ran your count thing and got 6273 with most of the gnome packages installed.

bkeefe
1st May 2006, 01:23 PM
I suppose this will be completely obvious to veteran linux folks but I learned the following. I use yum for updating, installing and removing. I used the command df -h to track the remaining capacity on my storage. I was down to just 81meg on my root directory. I decided to see what space a "yum clean all" would yield. I went back up to 433 meg of space. Much relief.

I wish that I didn't have to have so much gnome stuff installed. It seems that the dependecies require substantial gnome stuff regardless of what you do.

brunson
1st May 2006, 04:45 PM
Most of the system administration tools for Fedora are written using GTK and Gnome libraries, this causes many gnome packages to be installed.