Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
core [1/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Errror: cannot find valid baseurl for repo: core
can someone help me ?

gtr225
9th April 2006, 01:29 AM
Well basically it can't find the site with the core packages. The folder /etc/yum.repos.d/ has all of your yum repositories in it so maybe the file with the url for the core server is messed up.

Firewing1
9th April 2006, 05:34 AM
Are you properly connected to the internet? Do you use a proxy?
Firewing1

johnficca
9th April 2006, 03:23 PM
hey gtr225 thanks for the info see I'm new to linux, I was wondering about how I would go about fixing that? and one more thing do I need to be connected to the internet to get this done?

gtr225
9th April 2006, 03:38 PM
Yes you definetly need to be connected to the internet inorder to update your computer with Yum.

Firewing1
9th April 2006, 04:07 PM
If you're not on the inet then that's why there's errors -- It's saying it can't find the site because you're not even connected! Try connecting to the intenet first, then it should work.
TIP: You can configure Internet connections from the System Tools and Administation menus.
Firewing1

johnficca
9th April 2006, 05:35 PM
ok thanks, how do I install something I've downloaded from another computer and then put on my linux computer? do I still need to be online to do it with yum?

johnficca
9th April 2006, 05:37 PM
man you guys are helpful...thanks

Firewing1
9th April 2006, 05:42 PM
You can use the RPM command -- See my Linux Questions Answered link ing my signature. Basically, you'll need to know the basic terminal commands:
cd /path = change direrectory to /path
ls [/path] = list file in the current directory, or if /path is given, list fils there instead.
With that you can copy thw RPM files over, then cd to the dir they're in, and do

rpm -Uhv filename.rpm
to install it.
Firewing1

johnficca
9th April 2006, 05:50 PM
ok I'll give it a try thanks.
when I start my computer the only thing that fails is the determining IP, is that going to stop me from gotting online? and if so how do I get it mot to fail?

gtr225
9th April 2006, 05:56 PM
Well how are you connected to the internet? Because if it can't determine your IP, then you can't connect to the internet.

johnficca
9th April 2006, 06:10 PM
I have another computer(imac g5) the one with fedora core is my powerbook g3, they don't have netzero for linux

gtr225
9th April 2006, 06:28 PM
So then its not connected to the internet at all?

johnficca
9th April 2006, 06:32 PM
yeah it's not online