PDA

View Full Version : n00b help..

Dionysos21
6th April 2006, 03:09 AM
I was just wondering if their was a way to get rid of the Fedora splash screen in the newest version of grub packaged with FC5.. I like to keep my booting as simple as possible.. and i really just dont like an unneccessary splash screen. Also, how do you mount a spare Fat32 hard drive and put a shorcut to it on the desktop?

jhetrick62
6th April 2006, 03:58 AM
For mounting the spare HD, that is simple. Getting the icon on the desktop is a little tougher in FC5. Mine showed up after I loaded smb4k. You may try that for remote drive access.

Jeff

twiistedkaos
6th April 2006, 04:03 AM
For getting rid of the splash screen:

su -
gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And just comment out the splashimage= line. For example:

default=0
timeout=0
#splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2080_FC5)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet early-login
initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.img

is mine :).

For spare fat32 drive, Mind typing this in for me?

su -
fdisk -l /dev/hda

If that don't work type this instead:

su -
fdisk -l /dev/sda

twiistedkaos
6th April 2006, 04:04 AM
For getting rid of the splash screen:

su -
gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And just comment out the splashimage= line. For example:

default=0
timeout=0
#splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2080_FC5)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet early-login
initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.img

is mine :).

For spare fat32 drive, Mind typing this in for me?

su -
fdisk -l /dev/hda

If that don't work type this instead:

su -
fdisk -l /dev/hda

Dionysos21
6th April 2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the help in getting my linux feet wet.. soon the whole world will be open source.. and America will still be sucking the Bill Gates teet.. I, will not be one of those Americans.. :D

Omega Blue
6th April 2006, 04:55 AM
To mount a spare FAT32 drive, it depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want to mount it as is and keep the data on the drive? Do you want to reformat it using ext3 (for example)? Do you want to mount it, copy your data over to your Linux HDD, then reformat it?

Dionysos21
6th April 2006, 08:20 PM
yeah, I'd like to mount it as it is.. and read/ write to it.. from both windows and linux

twiistedkaos
6th April 2006, 08:27 PM
yeah, I'd like to mount it as it is.. and read/ write to it.. from both windows and linux
Do you mean a partition or an actual seperate hard-drive you've purchased?

nyinge
6th April 2006, 09:00 PM
XP should detect and mount your FAT32 partition automatically with read/write access. In FC5, it's not that... hmm... automatic.

Suppose you have your 80G (Samsung) SATA as FAT32.

- Whether be it a FAT32 drive or partition, you should be able to see it with (as root)
fdisk -l Look for the row with "FAT32" or "vfat" or similar. Note the "Device" titled column. It could be noted as /dev/sdc1 or something like that.
- Create a folder on your desktop. Name it anything you like. For our purpose, let's name it as "fat."
- Now, you gonna have to edit the file /etc/fstab. Be extremely CAUTIOUS in editing /etc/fstab, things could go WWIII if you screw it up. So, make a backup copy first.
- As root, open the /etc/fstab file in your favorite editor. Leave EVERYTHING as they are. At a new line, add the following (assuming your FAT32 drive is /dev/sdc1):

/dev/sdc1 /home/[username]/Desktop/fat vfat gid=500,uid=500,umask=077 0 0
Note that there should be at least a space between each column. In this case, I've assumed your gid(group id) and uid(user id) are 500.
Now, in short, reboot your box. You should now see your media files in your "fat" folder. Post your results back even if you've succeeded. ;)

Dionysos21
7th April 2006, 05:21 PM
tried with (gid=500,uid=500,umask=077) nothing happened, folder on the desktop is empty.. tried substituting (defaults) just because thats what everything else in my fstab said.. that invokes an error on start up saying the drive /dev/sd1 is read only - write protected... ?

nyinge
7th April 2006, 06:50 PM
Possibly gid and uid are incorrect.
Find out how what your group is by
groups [username]
Then substitute gid and uid accordingly. Try that again.

You don't have to reboot every try. Issue the command (as root)
umount /dev/sd1 in your case. Then, mount it again by issusing (as root)
mount /dev/sd1

Dionysos21
7th April 2006, 10:48 PM
gid and uid are 500:500 for the username im logged in on..

Dionysos21
7th April 2006, 10:53 PM
Well, not sure why, but it suddenly decided it wanted to work.. so .. Thanks for your help.. :)

nyinge
10th April 2006, 09:01 AM
Great that worked.
omg... i've actually helped somebody... and it worked!!! this is my first time with linux, so i'm really excited. Dionysos21, you've just reassured my confidence with linux. I really thank you for that. :)