PDA

View Full Version : Lost 2 Files on FAT32 partition!!!

cruncee
5th April 2006, 10:23 PM
Hi,

I instaleld Fedora Core 5 a few weeks ago parallel to windows. Now I got completly rid of windows and mada a new partition out of it and included it into my LVM. Now the problem: I lost two small but important files. Is there a way to try to recover them? When I look through the Internet I only find software for windows. But I need something that runs on Linux. (btw. I cannot boot with knoppix because I've a laptop and knoppix always wants to use the other output of the grpahiccard :-) ) I know that when I create a partition, the files are not completly deleted.

Thanks guys!

Cruncee

linuxthuse
5th April 2006, 11:04 PM
I have no experience with this, but I do know there are forensic live CD distributions out there, which no doubt will have tools for just such a job. I thought I'd throw this in because you haven't had any replies yet!

Just did a quick Google and Forensic Sleuth is one such distro. Visit www.linux-forensics.com. This may be based on Knoppix, but you never know, might work.

cruncee
5th April 2006, 11:33 PM
hi looked at the tools, but I've no clue which one I need and how to use it. You've to tell each tool which disk it should take (in my cas
/dev/sda ) and which filesystem. My partition sda3 is now part of my LVM and hast filesystem ext3 and former it was my WindowsXP-Partition with FAT32. How can I tell that the program?!

please help me :-)

Cruncee

twiistedkaos
5th April 2006, 11:47 PM
if you formatted the partition than your files are gone...

cruncee
5th April 2006, 11:50 PM
I don't no if I actually formatted it. the whole process (deleting the windows one creating a new one with ext3 and then merging it into my LVM) took only a few minutes.

thanks

twiistedkaos
6th April 2006, 01:48 AM
I don't no if I actually formatted it. the whole process (deleting the windows one creating a new one with ext3 and then merging it into my LVM) took only a few minutes.

thanks
Than unfortunately your files are gone, since you slit the hd up and converted on to ext3 you did format.

Flounder
6th April 2006, 01:53 AM
Well he at least wiped out the partition tables, formatting is a bit iffy but if you did it with linux and not partition magic chances are it's been formatted.

Firewing1
6th April 2006, 02:01 AM
yeah -- You're lucky to get your files back just after deleting them, usually it's b/c nothing else has been written on the HD in that spot. Since you formatted (made LVM), they're gone for sure.
Firewing1

cruncee
6th April 2006, 02:42 AM
ok guys :-) end of story ;-)
anyway thanks a lot!