PDA

View Full Version : FC4/FC5 i586 SMP

rdeeming
5th April 2006, 10:21 PM
Any reason why the SMP kernel build for an i586 is no longer being created? When I attempt to build my own using rpmbuild -bb --target i586 only the kernel-debuginfo rpm file is created

Thanks,

This old Dual SMP is still running.....

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 4
model name : Pentium MMX
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 199.424
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 apic mmx
bogomips : 393.21

dougal.s
6th April 2006, 12:13 AM
My SMP machine shows the following info:

[Dougal@henchman ~]$ uname -s -r -i
Linux 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp i386

Not tried compiling my own kernel, the standard one seems to have everything I require. You tryin got install wifi or something?

Mine is a dual Xeon 1.7, soon to become slightly faster. Your dual 200 is pretty nifty though!

Dougal.

rdeeming
6th April 2006, 05:32 AM
Just trying to get the 2nd CPU to be used. My guess is even though you see i386 it was the i686-smp rpm package installed on your sys since the Xeon would have no issues supporting i686.

When I attempted to use yum "yum install kernel-smp" nothing was found which started me down this path. On my other 2 SMP systems AMD Athlon and AMD Opteron the base install worked fine .

The next attempt is to edit yum.conf and insert exclude=kernel*. Download the kernel.org source and act like I am back in 1995 installing linux and compile the kernel that way. Take a little time on this 200mhz box...

Maybe I am over looking an easier way. Other than the obvious like go to GoodWill or the Salvation army and pick up a 900mhz box. There is some 10 year history and she has been through a bunch of Linux versions.

rdeeming
7th April 2006, 05:45 PM
Update:

We after waiting for... well forever... The kernel build process failed when it came to building the modules.dep file with this command.

/sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.16.1
Killed

Not sure what the major deal is with depmod so I am moving the build process over to an Athlon system to try making a i586 Pentium MMX based kernel from there.

rdeeming
8th April 2006, 06:27 AM
Took some time but finally got there. I got hung up on getting the three D-Link 530T ethernet cards working due to the switch between drivers. Look out the old dual SMP is back to computing mega :eek: bogomips.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 4
model name : Pentium MMX
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 199.465
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no