PDA

View Full Version : FC5 AMD64 dual core with ATI x600 and Nvidia 6100

jbowman
5th April 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I've got a new machine with an AMD64 Dual core process, onboard Nvidia 6100 video and an ATI x600 PCIE card.

I've managed to get the Nvidia drivers up and running, and have been following the bug report about the fglrx drivers. I got the new ones released recently that people have had luck with, but I'm still having to use the radeon driver, instead of the fglrx driver for my ati screens, because of an error I am getting about not being able to load a GL driver. (It's not in my Xorg log right now, but I can reproduce it if need be).

Before I go through the trouble of undoing the changes I've done to get it working again, does anyone know if it's possible to run with both the Nvidia and fglrx drivers on one machine? I've seen multiple references to having to remove nvidia drivers before running with the fglrx drivers, so I'm thinking it's just not possible to run with both?

Seve
6th April 2006, 02:23 AM
Hi,
Before I go through the trouble of undoing the changes I've done to get it working again, does anyone know if it's possible to run with both the Nvidia and fglrx drivers on one machine? I've seen multiple references to having to remove nvidia drivers before running with the fglrx drivers, so I'm thinking it's just not possible to run with both?
Hi:
Making some assumptions here, however, technically speaking I believe it is possible, however you would need to reset your BIOS each time your booted to either pick the on-board video ... or the added card and disable the other and visa-versa. This would be pretty cumbersome IMO.
I am not familiar with the ATI drivers, so perhaps this link might help as I am sure you would like to get your ATI as your default.
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia
hth

Seve

jbowman
6th April 2006, 03:49 AM
Actually the ATI card needs to be the primary monitor to get both outputs working. Kind of a pain. It's really not too relavant which card is the primary, I'm using 3 screens.

Currently I have 3 monitors hooked up to the machine, and it's pretty much working like I need it to with the radeon driver. I have 1 display on the nvidia vga out, and another display spanning as a 1280x2048 desktop across the other 2 monitors using the ATI card. It's a workstation, not being used for gaming, so the 3D aspect isn't extremely important. It's more of me being your typical geek and wanting to get everything working if I can. The monitor on the DVI out I can't even really see, as it's on a shelf above me and being used to display logs and other monitoring scripts I wrote for the entire work area to see.

The machine was bought for me to use a test station for vmware server, which we have running on a dual opteron server at work. Also happened to be cheaper than the normal "power" workstations we normally buy at work due to some contract with IBM.

Edit: The primary reason I'd like to get the fglrx driver working is I had to turn hardware acceleration off with the radeon driver, because it was locking up the machine when I'd pull up even just the KDE menu. Screen writes are slow, and basically I can only use it for display static information. The monitor next to me running off the ATI card right now isn't much more than a spot for a bunch of knotes and a superkaramba app showing machine performance.