PDA

View Full Version : Why is Xorg nv34 so slow?

wally_666
5th April 2006, 05:20 PM
Fedora Core 5 i386 DVD installed on AMD64 X2 (x86_64 installer crashes at "searching for installations") installed very smoothly and everything seems to work except for what seems to be a lot of broken links and missing files in the KDevelop help (KDevelop Assistant especially).

I've an image processing application that has multiple windows of live video built on libbgrab-2.1h that I developed initially using Knoppix 4.0.2 (XFree86 NV Xserver). Under Knoppix and XFree86 four 640x480 live windows shows my app and X using <55% CPU (according to top in an Xterm).

Same code compiled on Fedora Core5 shows 95+% CPU for X and I'm only getting 7-8 frames/sec :( Frame rate goes up as I move video windows on top of each other reaching 30 fps when only one live video window is visible.

Any ideas? I see a few differences in the Xconfig modules section but can't find any docs as to what they do and if Xorg has all the same ones as does XFree86.

Running 1280x1024 16-bit color mode.

I see from www.DistriWatch.com that the move to Xorg from XFree86 looks near universal with Debian Etch, Knoppix 5, Gentoo, etc. all dropping XFree86 support, so I really need to find a solution to this issue.

--wally.

wally_666
6th April 2006, 04:16 PM
Why the switch from XFree86 to Xorg?

Comparing the Xserver logs and X*.conf-4from Knoppix XFree86 vs FC5 Xorg only thing that seems different is the Section Module loads fbdevhw in Xorg but not XFree. Commenting it out and restarting made no difference.

X shm performance (data move from framegrabber buffer to Xwindow shared memory) under Xorg seem terrible to the point of uselessness for me compared to Debian modified Xfree 4.3 used by Knoppix.

Knoppix running from the Live DVD boot uses Driver "fbdev" and when installed to sets up Driver "vesa". Changing this to Driver "nv" still works. Guess I'll try fbdev or vesa on FC5 and see if it helps.

Only other thing I notice is if I move the video window, Xorg seems to still show live video at reduced frame rate XFree seems to stop updating the video (and my frame rate drops during the drag). I'll try looking into "show window contents during drag" options in Xorg.

--wally.

knorr.orange
7th April 2006, 01:36 AM
Can't say much for the rest of the post, but the switch happened because xfree changed their license and is no longer gpl compatable. You can read about it on the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86

Spoon!
7th April 2006, 01:56 AM
Also, about FC5, it uses the new modular X.org 7.0 which is very different from the monolithic X.org 6.x.

bac
7th April 2006, 02:18 AM
The X server released in fedora core 5 has a major performance regression. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6461
for another example, and https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5801 for the source code fix. Unfortunately this bug was fixed since fc5 was cut, and I know of no rpm build that includes the fix. I think we're overdue for a fc5 update for this.

bac
7th April 2006, 03:28 AM
Ah, I found an updated package of here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development
download the xorg-x11-server-Xorg rpm that matches your architecture, such as: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.2-1.i386.rpm

wally_666
7th April 2006, 02:11 PM
Many thanks, looks like the fix was being worked on while I discovered the issue.

Can I get these updates using yum? This is my first time with using yum.

--wally.

wally_666
7th April 2006, 03:48 PM
The main Gnome menu "add/remove software" tool doesn't offer these.

Do I replace all the installed Xorg-X11 packages with the ones from this set or just the server one?

bac
7th April 2006, 06:49 PM
I found it sufficient to just rpm -U the one package I referenced (the main x server package).

wally_666
7th April 2006, 08:46 PM
I found xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.1-9 in updates and installed it. Did not do anything to address my problem after a reboot.

OTOH from the Xorg.log file its not clear a new or different server is running. rpm -q says its installed and rpm -qa doesn't list the old -8 version.

I'll try the one you linked, but I note they have a 6MAR06 date whereas the build date on in the log file of my -9 updated Xserver is 15MAR06 in the logs. Perhaps the updates builder didn't get the fix? The log from the original -8 had a build date 6MAR06 as well.

--wally.

bac
7th April 2006, 09:08 PM
I found xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.1-9 in updates and installed it. Did not do anything to address my problem after a reboot.I don't know why you tried that, I recommended the April 5th announced build: xorg-x11-server-1.0.99.2-1.src.rpm

I'll try the one you linked, but I note they have a 6MAR06 date whereas the build date on in the log file of my -9 updated Xserver is 15MAR06 in the logs. Perhaps the updates builder didn't get the fix? The log from the original -8 had a build date 6MAR06 as well.

--wally.I don't know where you're getting these old dates from. Clearly march dated packages won't do, as the fix wasn't incorporated at that point. If you look at the package I recommended its build date is April 4th:
% rpm -qpi xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.2-1.i386.rpm
Name : xorg-x11-server-Xorg Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 1.0.99.2 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 1 Build Date: Tue 04 Apr 2006 03:29:12 PM PDT
Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com
Group : User Interface/X Source RPM: xorg-x11-server-1.0.99.2-1.src.rpm
Size : 8368985 License: MIT/X11
Signature : (none)
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL : http://www.x.org
Summary : Xorg X server
Description :
X.org X11 is an open source implementation of the X Window System. It
provides the basic low level functionality which full fledged
graphical user interfaces (GUIs) such as GNOME and KDE are designed
upon.

wally_666
7th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Your second link is broken -- I get error 404.

The first link takes me to a download site but no Xorg RMPS or SRPMS newer than 6MAR are there under i386.

This is what I found there: xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.2-2.i386.rpm

I'm about to try it, is this the wrong one?

I found the xorg-x11-server-Xorg...-9 under updates after installing yumex.

Curious, I just went back to the first link site where I downloaded the rpm and now the dates say 6APRR06, I swear my browser showed 6MAR06 on the file when I downloaded it!

--wally.

bac
7th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Your second link is broken -- I get error 404.Yes there was a new rawhide build since the one I posted.

The first link takes me to a download site but no Xorg RMPS or SRPMS newer than 6MAR are there under i386.
Thre are quite a few April dated .rpms in there.

This is what I found there: xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.2-2.i386.rpm

I'm about to try it, is this the wrong one?That looks like the new new one built yesterday.

wally_666
7th April 2006, 11:05 PM
Many thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.2-2.i386.rpm

Seems to have completely fixed my multiple video window performance issues!

I am overall very impressed with FC5 so far, despite a few glitches.

--wally.

bac
8th April 2006, 01:19 AM
Cool, I was fairly sure it would apply equally well to nvidia cards. I wonder what it'll take to get this update pushed out into an official rpm update. Seems to me to be a show-stopper bug.

wally_666
11th April 2006, 05:24 PM
Just got FC5 x86_64 installed and setup. Went smoothly, although gedit crashed once.

Same performance issue with Xorg server as with the i386 version. Found the updated server at:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64/Fedora/RPMS/

but X wouldn't start after I upgraded to it.

Kudos to the FC5 for providing an easy way to read the logs which made it easy to see there was a verion number problem with this server and the x86_64 nv driver module. Getting the nv driver rpm and upgrading to it let X start and the updated server and nv driver solve my Xvideo performance problems.

Need two rpms for x86_64:
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.99.901-1.x86_64.rpm
xorg-x11-drv-nv-1.1.1-2.x86_64.rpm

My i386 application binary failed (parameter error in a V4L2 ioctrl), but recompiling on the 64-bit system fixed it.

Thanks again for the help, a big +1 to this needs to find its way to FC5 updates ASAP.

--wally.

Finalzone
11th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Easier way

yum --enablerepo=fedora-update-testing update xorg-x11-server-Xorg

wally_666
11th April 2006, 08:34 PM
I believe update-testing is where I got xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.1-9 mentioned earlier which *did not* solve the problem.

--wally.

handy
14th April 2006, 08:43 AM
Hmm finally some answers :) I'm having also the same problems, with multiple windows xorg EATING cpu/memory. Will try that updated rpm :)