PDA

View Full Version : And yet another mplayer problem. some help?

-dko-
5th April 2006, 11:29 AM
i've completed installation of mplayer and all codecs and plugins besides the mozilla one. i go to play an mp3 and i get "there is no plugin installed to handle a mp3". what might be the prob here? i've done everything that i know how to do (which isn't very much) and still can't get it to work. i've installed all codecs and the specified plugins, still cannot play; how come? what's weird is that i can play mpeg's, but not mp3s. any help?

-dko-
5th April 2006, 11:41 AM
nm the application that i use to play mpegs and mp3's are diff. i can actually play both with xine. so definitely an issue with mplayer. just need to find out how to fix it. help?

bob
5th April 2006, 12:18 PM
Check out the instructions here: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

-dko-
6th April 2006, 12:41 AM
those are actually the instructions that i used. does it matter if i installed xine then mplayer and THEN the codecs? nm codecs wouldn't have anything to do with the plug in right? but still it isn't working. i also found another thread on fedora forum and followed those instructions as well but to no avail. what could the problem be? sorry for the trouble.

bob
6th April 2006, 01:38 AM
Well, try this - 'cd' to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and 'ls' to see what's there. That's where Firefox SHOULD be looking for the plugins. Next, since it's Mozilla, try opening Mozilla (probably in a terminal) and see if they work in that browser. If so, there's nothing wrong with the plugins but you should read Stan's message about SOMETIMES Firefox glitches about the mozilla plugins folder and you may have to load them directly into Firefox's folder (wish I could remember where THAT was; I used a different version in FC4 and had everything symlinked to my /home folder).