PDA

View Full Version : can't download RPMs with firefox

hurl380
5th April 2006, 08:20 AM
When ever i go to a link to download an RPM in general, i get mplayer embedded to ff showing it as mplayer downlaoding the program. whats going on? thanks

daihard
5th April 2006, 08:34 AM
When ever i go to a link to download an RPM in general, i get mplayer embedded to ff showing it as mplayer downlaoding the program. whats going on? thanks
My guess is that the file extension (.rpm) is somehow associated with RealPlayer. Have you tried right-clicking on a link and choosing "Save Link As"?

daneel971
5th April 2006, 08:36 AM
Do you mean the your mplayerplugin tries to play it? Maybe there's wrong entry in the config file of the plugin, in which are stored the extensions of the playable file types.

mpolo
5th April 2006, 08:36 AM
Mplayer thinks that you have a RealAudio file there... Ultimately, the web server you are downloading from is misconfigured and is not sending a MIME type, so that Firefox has to guess, and you have .RPM registered as belonging to mplayer. Try going to Preferences>Downloads>View and Edit Actions... and see if you can tell it to always download an RPM. I think you can also remove the local mime-type connection of RPM to realplayer within /etc/mime.types . I've never actually seen a RealPlayer file in the wild that uses RPM, so this should be quite safe.

hurl380
5th April 2006, 09:30 AM
Ok its some how mplayer. I have mplayer associated with this and its trying to play it. I just removed mplayer and it said it can not play the file because mplayr or something something. so i have reinstalled mplayer and now i have fix this again. is it a file that i have to edit?