PDA

View Full Version : Quake ]|[ Arena, errors starting game.

Bandit
5th April 2006, 03:25 AM
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has seen this errror when trying to run Quake3 on FC5?

------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less performance code)
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------
Sound memory manager started
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.
VM file ui compiled to 594408 bytes of code
ui loaded in 1963008 bytes on the hunk
Received signal 11, exiting...
[bandit@stardust ~]$

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the sound :rolleyes:
If anyone knows of a quick fix that would be great.

Thanks,
Bandit

erroneus
7th April 2006, 04:41 PM
I'm getting the same thing. It has been so long since I played the game, I'm unsure which update caused the problem to occur but I'm betting it's the latest kernel update somehow...

---update---

I found the answer in another posting on this forum. Something about the kernel reporting the architecture is causing the problem. I can't claim to understand it, but someone else has a problem where it would segfault under FC5 and the solution was adding the following to the start script for quake3:

setarch i386 ./quakre3.x86

I'm still on FC4 (waitig to buy a new hard drive... I want to triple-boot WinXP, MacOSX86 and FC5!) for the moment and it started happening after a kernel update.

ItsTheSource
7th April 2006, 09:36 PM
hopefully this will work (taken from forums.gentoo.org)

echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

Bandit
7th April 2006, 11:20 PM
Samn error :(
Think its something to do with video now..

sairuk
8th April 2006, 04:10 AM
hopefully this will work (taken from forums.gentoo.org)

check the startup messages for quake3 and ensure that permission is not denied on /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss if it is create a new group, add your user to this group then chgrp/chmod so the user has write permission to it.

I had the permission denied issue on et and this worked but i can only get sound out of quake3 atm by using my usb headset on /dev/dsp1 with the echo command (which fixes the mmap issue for me) as you mentioned. ET works with sound from a user account after the group change while before that it only worked with sound as root.

glennzo
8th April 2006, 10:29 AM
I found a solution that works for me in another forum, which I cannot claim to understand, but it works all the same.
Change to quake game directory.
Open 2 terminals
As root, in 1 terminal type 'artsd -a oss'
In second terminal type 'artsd -m ./quake3.x86'

For the record, my output before I found this solution also included 'cannot map /dev/dsp'.

freak
8th April 2006, 03:24 PM
setarch i386 ./quakre3.x86setarch i386 ./quake3.x86 :)

according to this quake 3 how to (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Quake3) from linux-gamers.net:

6. sound in id's q3 is broken, here's a workaround
since alsa is the standard sound system for linux, there are many people having problems with sound of the official q3 from idsoftware. for some there's no sound, for others there's just no sound while using teamspeak, although hardware mixing. i found some information in the internet, that this would be related to alsa and should be fixed in latest alsa releases. but not for me, still had the same problem after updating.

those two commands (executed before starting quake3) may fix both kind of problems:

echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

and...

7. hints
quake 3 does not start using fedora core 5:
try starting it this way:

setarch i386 ./quake3.x86

btw, i'm still using fedora 4 (quake 3 and urban terror work fine here).

Bandit
8th April 2006, 06:25 PM
@ glennzo & freak,
Thanks for the tips. I already tried what Freak listed before. It does fix the sound, but its the video somehome that isnt loading. Glennzo, I tried your solution for the heck of it, but I dont have Arts installed as its the sound deamon for KDE :)
But at the point I try anything.

I am convinced this is a graphics error. I am running a Radeon 9200SE with the Xorg7 drivers. 3D is working perfectly as I play other 3D games.

Scytale
11th April 2006, 12:40 PM
if

setarch i386 ./quake3.x86

doesn't do anything try

just setarch i386 ./quake3

that fixes it for me.