PDA

View Full Version : KDE shot the ****

bbraner
5th April 2006, 02:28 AM
so i logged out and logged back into my kde desktop and it came up with an error and just shows a black screen, any idea whats wrong?

Christy
5th April 2006, 02:28 AM
What was the error?

Also, I'm not sure if anything is recoverable (probably, but I'm no expert), but if you delete the .kde (I think) folder in your home directory, KDE will be reset for your user.

bbraner
5th April 2006, 04:09 AM
how does one do that?

Christy
5th April 2006, 04:31 AM
If you have another desktop environment (example is for Gnome):
- log in and open your home directory (icon on desktop or on the top panel --> places, home folder)
- go to the view menu, select show hidden files
- delete the one called .kde

in a terminal:
- make sure you are in your home directory

[user@localhost]$ cd ~
- remove the .kde folder

[user@localhost]$ rm -rf .kde

it just occurred to me that you don't need to delete it, you can just rename it to .kde-old or something. That way you don't lose everything that was in it (except that KDE wasn't working, so it may not be important). It's up to you which approach to take.

bbraner
5th April 2006, 11:49 PM
you will have to excuse my stupidness, but how do i reinstall it now :P

Christy
5th April 2006, 11:56 PM
Reinstall it? KDE is still on your system, you just deleted any customizations you made to it. Just log into KDE and the defaults will be used. You can then redo any customizations you made. :)

bbraner
6th April 2006, 02:20 AM
it comes up with some thing failed and it got an error 11??? then that goes away and my background blinks and it says that a media thing failed?? i dunno

Christy
6th April 2006, 02:29 AM
Can you write down the whole error and post it here? If it had been a problem with only your profile, what I suggested would have worked. If you post the whole error message it would be helpful.

bbraner
6th April 2006, 11:55 PM
kwin crash caused signal 11 (sigseva)

then a window pops up with a glass breaking sound over and over that syas KDE media manager is not running

Christy
7th April 2006, 01:55 PM
Ouch...haven't seen that error, and can't find anythign about the exact error and situation it's occuring for on your system. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling KDE. If you have Gnome, you can use the add/remove software program (in FC5 it's under the applications menu), uncheck the KDE option under desktop environments, let it do it's thing, then re-check it. It'll probably ask you for your installation disks, so if you still have them around, keep them handy. If you don't have them, then you can do it with yum

[user@localhost]$ su -
Password:
[root@localhost]# yum groupinstall KDE

I think uppercase works for KDE. If not, try lower case.

bbraner
8th April 2006, 02:36 AM
awesome we got it working. i appreciate your help

Christy
8th April 2006, 03:54 AM
glad it works again :)

gavinw6662
8th April 2006, 07:17 AM
i think the best solution here is the one that was posted, I would backup the .kde folder in your home dir, and then remove the .kde directory. Log out, and when you log back in kde should recreate that directory for you.

Christy
8th April 2006, 01:28 PM
i think the best solution here is the one that was posted, I would backup the .kde folder in your home dir, and then remove the .kde directory. Log out, and when you log back in kde should recreate that directory for you.

That was my first instinct too. But I think it was tried and still didn't work. I looked around for a bit trying to find something about the error, didn't find anything (I admit, I didn't have too much time to spend looking). So that's why I suggested reinstalling KDE.