PDA

View Full Version : fedora about to get thrown out of window

bigbadwolf
4th April 2006, 10:09 PM
Hello, I have recently installed FC5 , completely new to linux.
Everything is working fine, apart from playing videos.
This is very annoying, and when I try to use PUP or yum i just get 'unable to retrieve software info'.

It is not connected to internet. It is a non-custom installation. I just followed basic install instructions without really changing much of the options.

If I try playing .ogm files it says 'no video stream detected'.

I am using GNOME. And have been using 'media player' , and 'helix player'.

Do I have to use a command line to install stuff?

I have mplayer and vlc rpm's on a CD , I have tried installing them but no luck.

It plays music very well, just not videos.

Please help me , I'm about to throw it out of window

Tashiro
4th April 2006, 10:13 PM
and when I try to use PUP or yum i just get 'unable to retrieve software info'.

It is not connected to internet.
That makes sense doesn't it?

Moved to software.

Tashiro

bigbadwolf
4th April 2006, 10:17 PM
no it doesnt, do i have to use the internet , just to use fedoras movie playing?

Tashiro
4th April 2006, 10:27 PM
Yum is a package managing program, which downloads the software from the internet and installs it on your system.

Try running your video application from the CLI to get some more verbose error messages.

These might prove valuable:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Tashiro

taurus
4th April 2006, 11:33 PM
If you have those files on a CD, what format are they in? If they are RPM, then you can install it with (as root)

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

fc-cornette
5th April 2006, 12:47 AM
This is very annoying, and when I try to use PUP or yum i just get 'unable to retrieve software info'.

It is not connected to internet. It is a non-custom installation. I just followed basic install instructions without really changing much of the options.

I have mplayer and vlc rpm's on a CD , I have tried installing them but no luck.

Pup currently was designed to work like yum in the respect that it updates exclusively from the Internet. Pup is supposed to be able to install off of CD in the future. Meanwhile, it is possible to copy the rpms from the installation CDs and use the createrepo program to make a local repo. This information is avaiable in the fedora-list archives that go into detail as to how to setup the repos.

rpm -Uvh createrepo*.rpm from either the directory that you setup as your local repo. Back out one level from your repo directory and run createrepo <repodirectory> to create the repo information for yum/pup to use.

Next you must add a repository file to the /etc/yum.repos.d directory with information pointing to the repo directory in the form of baseurl=file:///<path-to-local-repo> in the repository file. You must also save the file with the .repo extension.

Disable the fedora-core, fedora-extras repos by changing enable=1 to enable=0 in each file.

The present state of pup is far from a common perception of the program. The program should recognize two conditions and adjust its routine accordingly.
1) Program should detect Internet Status (Available or not available)
2) Program should recognize when installation medium related to rpms or at least the first installation disc is inserted and adjust mode accordingly.

Regarding the multimedia program you are having problems with, launching it from a shell and noting the output is the easiest way to see what is failing. The problem could be caused by many factors and the output will help others in trying to help resolve your problems.

bob
5th April 2006, 01:27 AM
Here's a site should help you too: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html Personally, I prefer Yumex over PUP at this stage. They're both graphical and a bit slower than command-line, but if you're just learning, they're a great tool.

Bandit
5th April 2006, 02:10 AM

Well you cant blame Fedora for not magicly working for you.
How about picking up a a Unix book, do some reading, learn how to compile a program.
I had mine playing everything under the sun in less then 15 minutes after I got Fedora installed.
Its very simple, just compile Xine 1.1.2cvs and Totem or the Xine-UI. Its up to you.
I honestly dont see whats so hard about
"./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-mozilla && Make", then "su", then "make install"
Thats all it takes for Xine, then same as above with Totem or the Xine-UI just leav out --enable-mozilla..
Its not like this is rocket science :confused:

glpnet
5th April 2006, 06:23 AM
Hey Bandit, Its that kind of responce we DONT need. Especially if we want to keep converting new users to linux.

Bandit
5th April 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Bandit, Its that kind of responce we DONT need. Especially if we want to keep converting new users to linux.
I been using linux for 10 years, everytime I see a windows users expecting linux to be like windows just because it works on the same machine. I dont mean to sound harsh, but Linux is NOT Windows.
Many people will run out and grab a Windows for Dummies book, but will complain becuase they want grab a UNIX or Linux for Dummies book.
I personaly dont like seeing someone bash a perfectly functional distro becuase they refuse to learn then have the nerve to threaten a whole community of great people putting forth a little effort of their time tp help others who are willing to be helped.
You will see in time there are people who will be willing to be helped and others who better off with windows :)

Cheers,
Bandit

d_GeNeRiT
5th April 2006, 04:56 PM

Bad Wolf,

since u are new i will give u advice. Create a seperate thread for each issue and make the title of the post relevant to the issue u are expereincing. Not "Im gonna smash my Fedora box" but rather "Video not working in Totem"

Follow the instructions someone posted at stanton-finley website above. U need to install the codecs pack from under the Xine section of the stanton-finley tutorial. After installing the codec pack u can then watch video properly.

I recommend you install VLC Media Player after u install the codec pack because VLC will handle almost any kind of file, its my favorite. Forget about Totem and the others.

Forget the stuff on CD, u need an active internet connection to do this properly. Why dont u have internet access? Are u in a log cabin in Antarctica?

hoser_9
5th April 2006, 05:14 PM
Try that page that Bob recommended and use yumex and install Xine with ALL the codecs..

http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Also I would just install everything else too like Yumex, its a frontend for yum and then join the other respositories with extras. Also RealPlayer is better then HelixPlayer so try that the instructions are on the web page..

jimispier
5th April 2006, 05:23 PM
If you are having internet issues try checking your configuration.. You may have to set it up manually.. When setting up my net I had to manually input the DNS, IP, Subnet, etc.. cause the machine didn't do it correctly..

bigbadwolf
9th April 2006, 01:21 AM
I thank you all for your input, and I also apologize if I seemed to be blasting FC5, it was just my expression, I didnt think anyone would take offence.
I have media working on FC5 now, and it is actually quite good at it.

glpnet
9th April 2006, 02:59 AM
I thank you all for your input, and I also apologize if I seemed to be blasting FC5, it was just my expression, I didnt think anyone would take offence.
I have media working on FC5 now, and it is actually quite good at it.
None Taken.
I remember when I was new to linux. You think its hard now, you should of seen it 20 years ago.
Some other people need to remember when THEY were new to linux.