PDA

View Full Version : Will this work,,,

harrisale
4th April 2006, 09:48 PM
Hello,

I recently deleted my Windows XP NTFS partition. I re-wrote the partition table with TestDisk and the partition is back (can be viewed in fdisk), accept that I can't access it. I now only have Linux (props to Linus) This is what I get when trying to boot WinXP:

GRUB Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

When trying to mount it, I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

This is what I would like to know:

I suspect the drive is unaccessable because there is no or a corrupt book sector

Would booting into the recovery console on the Win XP disk and then running fixmbr and fixboot fix my problems?

thanx,

=harrisale+

bob
5th April 2006, 01:19 AM
If you can grab the data you might need, do so now. I think you've wiped it but good, however it can't HURT to try running the fixmbr & fixboot but I think that while you can resize a partition, once you've deleted it, you're hosed.

daverj
5th April 2006, 01:56 AM
Another user had this same problem (or maybe it is you with another thread). Anyway, grub is not fixable for reading the partition. If you want XP you will need to reinstall it and then manually load grub into the boot sector.

Dave

nyinge
5th April 2006, 02:02 AM
Yes, "fixboot" and "fixmbr" would get your XP to boot, and only XP. Your Linux partition would be hidden until you reconfigure GRUB again from the rescue disk. There could be other better ways though. Good luck!

harrisale
5th April 2006, 05:07 PM
right now my main concern is not if linux wont work anymore, I just want to be able to get my files back. I had many years of photos and documents on there and I need them back. I can always reconfigure grub later.

daverj
5th April 2006, 05:16 PM
If you have an old floppy (like a win98 boot floppy) that has fdisk.exe on it, boot to the disk and run:

fdisk /mbr

that will restore the boot sector to enable windows to boot. Hopefully, you can get your files. The point I made about grub is that from the previous posts about this same issue, TestDisk may have made the partitions unrecognizable by grub, even with a fresh grub install. You may have to reinstall windows after you retreive your data.

Dave

harrisale
5th April 2006, 05:17 PM
That will be fine as long as I can get the files first. So this will be possible to get the files right?

nyinge
5th April 2006, 06:48 PM
I've tried using XP cd, and in rescue mode, I've "fixmbr" and "fixboot." That had taken care of the problem for me.

I now have an extra drive (or could be a partition), formatted as FAT32, so that even the main drive fails, it'll be a breeze to extract the data out of FAT partitions.

harrisale
6th April 2006, 01:15 AM
Well... heres the bad news I tried fixboot and fixmbr, and now my computer only says "Error Loading Operating System". I guess the partition is corrupt.

Is there any freeware anyone knows of that I can use to salvage files off the corrupted partition.. or I guess I will just have to take it to a professional.

daverj
6th April 2006, 01:36 AM
You are not necessarily there yet. Just because the OS is corrupt, it does not mean the partition is bad or not mountable. It just means the OS cannot load. If you have access to another computer, hook up this drive as the secondary drive and reboot. If the partition is ok, you should be able to get to your files that way. If that fails, then you may have to take it to a professional.

Dave

Firewing1
6th April 2006, 01:40 AM
He did at the start -- It won't work...
I'd load WinXP repair CD and do "chkdisk" or "chkdisk.exe"
Firewing1

daverj
6th April 2006, 01:45 AM
Unless I am missing something, he DIDN'T do that at the start. He simply tried rebooting after running TestDisk. When that failed he tried mounting from within FC.

What I am suggesting is totally different. Put it as the secondary drive of another windows system and try to access it that way.

Just because the OS will not load and just because he cannot mount it thru FC, does not mean that another windows box will not be able to access the drive.

Dave

nyinge
6th April 2006, 08:24 PM
I'm worried that harrisale will not be able to access the data from another XP box, as a second drive, since NTFS could have locked up its files, unless he has "Everyone" for access rights. I would do the following before poping the drive into another XP box:

- Reinstall Fedora (clean install) and make necessary adjustments at GRUB configuration page.
- If you have multiple actual hardrives, pay attention to the order of listed drives in GRUB's advanced options. You might want to place the drive that contains XP at the top of the list.
- Make GRUB installed at MBR. (chainloader should do the work of booting windows.)

If, for some reasons, the above methods won't solve the problem,
- Try installing NTFS kernel module in Linux. You can get the module for FC5 here (http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/187/).
- Suppose you can see the XP partition under Linux (fdisk -l), you should be able to mount the NTFS partition after you install the module.

Hope this helps you out, harrisale. Good luck! :cool:

brandor
6th April 2006, 09:04 PM
Grab a copy of knoppix and see if it can open the partition up for you.

I don't recommend any further attempts to alter the disk in anyway until you've gotten your files back or are 100% sure it's hosed for good.