PDA

View Full Version : What do the Feds do?

thesun
4th April 2006, 08:35 PM
Okay, I made 2 backups of my home directory prior to reformatting the hard drive to install FC5 freshly...and both backups failed. One was a .tgz file which must have crashed midway through. The other I made by cutting and pasting using konqueror...on to an external USB drive. No idea why the cutting and pasting stopped, and I should have glanced more carefully at the folders before reformatting...

But the damage is done. I've lost less than I could have because I backed up my email on a different computer and have my photo files on cd...but stuff like tax info, documents, etc., are all gone.

Not only did I reformat once, but I did it again after the install went screwy.

Do I have any hope of recovering any data without paying thousands of dollars...and...what suggestions are out there for easy, automatic backup of files? Are there any GUI apps out there that people like? Should I back up offsite using some pay service? I am no computer whiz and don't really have the skills to write shell scripts myself...

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :(

wdgiles
4th April 2006, 09:01 PM
This thread might be helpful: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97146&highlight=firewing+backup

Firewing1 ( a member of this forum) has some useful backup scripts - just use the forum search function to find the posts.

bg

jerryrw
12th April 2006, 05:11 AM
R-Studio can recover files from ext2-3 filesystems on some pretty damaged drives

arhhook
19th April 2006, 01:06 AM
try Zero Assumption Recovery on your HD.