PDA

View Full Version : Linux Online Reviews Fedora Core 5

smfinley
4th April 2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.linux.org/dist/reviews/fc5_review.html

Qwagmire
5th April 2006, 01:28 PM
I thought it was a pretty fair review, and he pointed people to your notes (which I couldn't have lived without).

That's the second writer that said that Fedora would not be a good "linux beginner." I find that having to learn how to tweak FC4 and now FC5 has taught me a lot about linux. I guess I prefer that, but the average computer user likely doesn't want all the work.

Flounder
6th April 2006, 02:15 AM
Applying the reverse of the Star Trek curse, I usually skip the even numbered Fedora Core releases. And since Fedora Core 5 was just released, and 5 being an odd number,

I thought 4 was fine but that's just me. Good review from the looks though.

Qwagmire
6th April 2006, 03:01 AM
I am happy with FC5, and the fact that I'm learning more about linux makes it better.

While it's true that it needs some tweaking out of the box, it really isn't that bad.

Pup is nice; in fact I didn't bother with installing Yumex on this distro- I actually like using yum via command line.

One thing I would like to see improved upon is perhaps looking to have a unified approach to package repositories. It's not a big deal to have to --enablerepo with installs, but it would be nice to have it unified.

Thanks to the devs for all the hard work in making this OS. I feel like it's criminal to have all this fun for free. :)