PDA

View Full Version : Sharing drives on Fedora Servers

LCooper
4th April 2006, 03:39 PM
I have a cuatomer who has several servers running Fedora Core 2 Operating Systems. We are trying to impliment a software driven automatic data back-up system that has agents that reside on the servers.

We feel that there are only two ways we can make it work on these Fedora servers.

1. We can try to install a Red Hat Linux compatible agent and see if it works. Does anyone see any issues or have any experience with this?

2. We can link the drives in the Fedora servers to another server as a shared network drive and back-up the data with the agent running on the other OS. Can a Windows based server read the drives on a Fedora server?

Thanks to all who respond

Shakes
4th April 2006, 06:02 PM
I think number 2 you can do with Samba, though I don't have expereince of this, though a google search should give you an idea. I don't know if the fact it's old fedora is an issue for this either.

What about making your agents use telnet,ftp, or scp?

Where are the agents coming from? Where are you obtaining them to donwload? Are the agents specifically designed for backup systems? The agent part is a bit vague, software agents can be used for all sorts.