PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit java slow

tlovasic
4th April 2006, 03:15 PM
Hi there,
I have installed Fedora Core4 on my shiny new Pentium D (dual core) running @ 2.8GHz, with 2Gb RAM and an NVIDIA 6800 video....
First thing I did was to obtain 64 bit Java JDK (JDK5 update 6) and of course to fully update FC4 (including 2.6.15 kernel...)
I installed IntelliJ Idea which I use regularly and was quite snappy on my old machine. To my huge surprise Intellij is as slow as if it was running on an old 486. I have tried 32 bit java, and essentially the same thing occured. Then I noticed that most SWING apps (like DBVisualizer) are terribly slow.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Has anyone found the cure?

Regards to all,

Tom

Jman
5th April 2006, 03:17 AM
I haven't seen such bad performace. I'm running the free gcj that comes with Fedora, perhaps try that.

Any way to quantify how slow it is, how long it takes to do stuff, any benchmarks?

tlovasic
5th April 2006, 02:28 PM
Nope, no benchmarks. Slowness is most apparent in running SWING heavy apps (like Idea or DBVisualizer). Rendering is simply slow and sluggish.

MatthewWall
6th April 2006, 09:46 PM
I'm currently running FC4 64 bit with a 64 bit Sun JVM and my IntelliJ and Eclipse are flying. Are you finding all Java apps slow, even server based ones like Tomcat etc, or is it just graphical applications? What graphics driver do you have installed?

You could always try the BEA jrockit JVM which is optimised for Intel hardware, but I think that the optimisations are more to do with the server side code rather than the GUI. I've got it but notice very little difference between that and the Sun JVM with the sort of load that I put on my JVM.

As Jman says, even the GCJ version is quick, although there are glitches in functionality in apps like IntelliJ / Eclipse. Check that you are running IntelliJ with the Sun JDK.